Tsegaye Laurendeau is a senior associate in Shearman & Sterling's International Arbitration practice. His experience includes international arbitrations under the ICC, ICSID, CRCICA and UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, with a focus on energy, investment, joint venture and post-M&A disputes.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Tsegaye practiced as an associate in the Project Finance practice of a magic circle firm, acting for financial institutions and sponsors in relation to the financing and development of large energy and infrastructure projects in Northern and Sub-Saharan Africa. He also advised lenders and sponsors on the refinancing of long term syndicated credit facilities in relation to energy projects in Africa.
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria as Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Orascom TMT Investments S.à.r.l. (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/35). The dispute related to alleged breaches of the Algeria-Belgium-Luxembourg bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of a mobile telephone company in Algeria. Over USD 5 billion was at stake.
- The Arab Republic of Egypt as Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Ampal-American Israel Corporation and other investors (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/11) concerning alleged violations of investors’ rights under the Egypt-U.S. and the Egypt-Germany bilateral investment treaties. The investment concerns a long term contract for the supply of natural gas.
- A Middle Eastern State-owned gas company as Respondent in two CRCICA arbitrations brought by a European energy company. The dispute arises from a gas supply agreement. Egyptian law applies.
- A group of shareholders of a holding company as Respondents in an ICC arbitration in Paris initiated by another shareholder in the same company. The dispute concerned the interpretation of a put option price provision contained in a Shareholders' Agreement. The law of the Netherlands applied. Over USD 500 million was at stake.
- A major European retail group as Claimant in an ICC arbitration in São Paulo against its Brazilian joint venture partner. The dispute concerned breaches of a shareholders’ agreement concluded between the parties relating to the control of Brazil’s largest retailer. Brazilian law applied.
International Academy for Arbitration Law
Université Paris X-Nanterre
D.E.A. Contentieux et commerce international et européen
Université de Bourgogne
D.E.S.S. Droit des affaires internationales
Financial Management, Certificate
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Africa Regional Representative, London Court of Arbitration - Young International Arbitration Group
- Member, Intergovernmental Authority on Development/Djibouti Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Centre Task Force
- Member, International Chamber of Commerce - Young Arbitrators Forum
- Member, International Centre for Dispute Resolution Young & International