Ken Lebrun is a partner and the Head of Asia Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
Ken’s practice focuses primarily on public and private cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and private equity transactions. He also advises public companies on internal investigations and corporate governance issues.
- Sompo Holdings, Inc. in its $6.3 billion acquisition of Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd.
- Japan Nuclear Fuel Limited in its €250 million investment in France’s New AREVA Holding
- CMC Biologics S.a.r.l. in the €500 million sale of its Danish and U.S. operating subsidiaries to Asahi Glass Co., Ltd.
- Coca-Cola West Co., Ltd. in its business integration with Coca-Cola East Japan Co., Ltd.
- SunEdison in the sale of SunEdison Japan and related solar energy assets in Japan
- Mizkan Holdings Co., Ltd. in its $2.2 billion acquisition from Unilever of the Ragú and Bertolli pasta sauce business
- Mizuho Bank, Ltd. in many transactions, including its acquisition of an approximately 16% ownership interest in and alliance with Matthews International Capital Management, LLC; its $3.2 billion acquisition of a $36.5 billion U.S. and Canadian loan portfolio from Royal Bank of Scotland; its investment in CITIC Pacific, Ltd.; its acquisition of Banco WestLB do Brasil S.A.; its acquisition of EurekaHedge Pte., Ltd.; its $1.2 billion investment in Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc.; and its acquisition and subsequent sale of a 16% interest in Evercore Partners Inc.
- Merrill Lynch, JPMorgan, Citigroup, UBS and other investment banks as financial advisors in various transactions
- New York
- Japan (as a Registered Foreign Lawyer)
- Committee Member, Working Group of the Japanese Cabinet Office for Revising Regulations and Administrative Procedures For Promotion of FDI (2016–2017)
- Chair, Foreign Direct Investment Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan
- Committee Member, Study Committee of the Japanese Ministry of Justice for Reform of Rules Concerning Foreign-Qualified Lawyers in Japan (2015)
- Committee Member, Study Committee of the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry for its Survey on Investment Alliance Case Studies (2014)
Awards & Accolades
- Selected as the four-time exclusive winner of the Client Choice Award for M&A in Japan (2010–2012 and 2015). A client praised Ken as “the best of best in terms of quality, knowledge, soundness of judgment, responsiveness and value for money in the M&A area”
- Named as a leading lawyer for Corporate/M&A by leading legal directories including Chambers, Asia Pacific Legal 500 and IFLR1000
- Practice head Ken Lebrun is “the ‘go-to’ person for corporate advice and is one of the leading individuals in the market” — Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2017