Ken Lebrun is a partner and the Head of Asia Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
Ken’s practice focuses primarily on public and private cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and private equity transactions. He also advises public companies on internal investigations and corporate governance issues.
- Uzabase, Inc. in its acquisition of Quartz Media LLC from Atlantic Media, Inc.
- Shiseido Co., Ltd. in various transactions, including its $485 million sale of Zotos International Inc. to Henkel Corporation and its $1.7 billion tender offer for Bare Escentuals, Inc.
- Sompo Holdings, Inc. in its $6.3 billion acquisition of Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd.
- Japan Nuclear Fuel Limited in its €250 million investment in France’s New AREVA Holding
- CMC Biologics S.a.r.l. in the €500 million sale of its Danish and US operating subsidiaries to Asahi Glass Co., Ltd.
- Coca-Cola West Co., Ltd. in its business integration with Coca-Cola East Japan Co., Ltd.
- SunEdison in the sale of SunEdison Japan and related solar energy assets in Japan
- Mizkan Holdings Co., Ltd. in its $2.2 billion acquisition from Unilever of the Ragú and Bertolli pasta sauce business
- Mizuho Bank, Ltd. in many transactions, including its acquisition of a 16% ownership interest in and alliance with Matthews International Capital Management, LLC ; its $3.2 billion acquisition of a $36.5 billion US and Canadian loan portfolio from Royal Bank of Scotland; its investment in CITIC Pacific, Ltd.; its acquisition of Banco WestLB do Brasil S.A.; its acquisition of EurekaHedge Pte., Ltd.; its $1.2 billion investment in Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc.; and its acquisition and subsequent sale of a 16% interest in Evercore Partners Inc.
- Yamaha Corporation in its acquisition of Line 6, Inc.
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation in its preferred stock equity financing in JX Nippon Oil Exploration Ltd. in connection with the Petra Nova Carbon Capture Project and in its $620 million convertible preferred stock investment in Gavilon Agriculture Holdings, Co. in support of Marubeni Corporation's $2.6 billion acquisition of Gavilon's agricultural business
- Mori Seiki as international counsel in its acquisition of additional shares in Gildemeister AG in exchange for shares in its US and Japanese subsidiaries
- Oki Electric in its acquisition of Itautec, a leading ATM manufacturer in Brazil, from Itausa
- Osaka Gas and Mitsubishi Corporation in their joint acquisition of a large-scale solar power generation project in Ontario, Canada from Recurrent Energy
- Fujifilm Holdings Corporation in its $1 billion tender offer for SonoSite, Inc.
- Toyota Motor Corporation as U.S. counsel in its acquisition of the publicly held shares of Toyota Auto Body and Kanto Auto Works
- Nippon Oil Corporation as U.S. counsel in its $12.5 billion merger with Nippon Mining Holdings, Inc.
- Hitachi, Ltd. in its $233 million sale of Hitachi Semiconductor Singapore Pte. Ltd. to Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd.
- International Petroleum Investment Company (UAE) in its $775 million acquisition of a 20% interest in Cosmo Oil Co., Ltd.
- The Longreach Group in its acquisition of a 51% interest in EnTie Commercial Bank, Ltd. and its acquisition of 25% of Mcdonald's Holdings Company (Japan), Ltd.
- Seven-Eleven Japan in its $1.2 billion tender offer for the publicly held stock of 7-Eleven, Inc.
- Groupe Danone in its $1.7 billion leveraged joint venture with Suntory Limited, creating the leading home-and-office water delivery business in the United States
- Merrill Lynch, JPMorgan, Citigroup, UBS and other investment banks as financial advisors in various transactions
- New York
- Japan (as a Registered Foreign Lawyer)
- Committee Member, Working Group of the Japanese Cabinet Office for Revising Regulations and Administrative Procedures For Promotion of FDI (2016–2017)
- Chair, Foreign Direct Investment Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan
- Committee Member, Study Committee of the Japanese Ministry of Justice for Reform of Rules Concerning Foreign-Qualified Lawyers in Japan (2015)
- Committee Member, Study Committee of the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry for its Survey on Investment Alliance Case Studies (2014)
Awards & Accolades
- Selected as the four-time exclusive winner of the Client Choice Award for M&A in Japan (2010 – 2012 and 2015). A client praised Ken as “the best of best in terms of quality, knowledge, soundness of judgment, responsiveness and value for money in the M&A area”
- Named as a leading lawyer for Corporate/M&A by leading legal directories including Chambers, Legal 500 Asia Pacific and IFLR1000
- Practice head Ken Lebrun is ‘the "go-to" person for corporate advice and is one of the leading individuals in the market’. Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017