Mei Lian is a partner in the Finance practice.
She has a particular focus on debt financing, with expertise both in capital markets as well as leveraged and bank finance transactions, including in particular stressed and distressed situations. She has a broad and extensive practice with a strong focus on high-end, cross-border transactions.
Mei represents borrowers and issuers and lenders and underwriters on financing transactions. She also represents hedge funds and alternative credit providers on distressed and restructuring investment opportunities. Her clients include Frigoglass, Nokia Corporation, Piraeus Bank S.A., STMicroelectronics N.V. and various hedge funds.
- Nokia on its €1.5 billion five-year multicurrency revolving credit facility (RCF). Nokia introduced a sustainability pricing mechanism linking the margin of the RCF to two of its key sustainability targets relating to reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Piraeus Bank S.A. in connection with the sale of an approximately €1.95 billion portfolio of non-performing corporate credit exposures to Bain Capital Credit LP. It marks the first time a portfolio of commercial real-estate backed non-performing credit exposures has been sold in Greece.
- Nokia on a €500 million financing provided by the European Investment Bank and a €250 million financing provided by the Nordic Investment Bank in connection with its 5G research and development programme.
- The Frigoglass group, a global leader in the Ice Cold Merchandisers (ICM) market, on completing the restructuring of its existing indebtedness, which included €250 million 8.25 percent senior notes due 2018 issued by Frigoglass Finance and over €80 million of existing bank debt across eight facilities agreements.
- JP Morgan as dealer manager in connection with a series of tender offers by Vedanta Resources plc in connection with the $1,250 million 5.50 per cent. Guaranteed Convertible Bonds due 2016 issued by Vedanta Resources Jersey Limited.
- Piraeus Bank S.A. in connection with its €4.933 billion recapitalization, including in connection with an exchange offer and consent solicitation for certain outstanding senior and subordinated securities.
- Nokia in connection with the update of its €5 billion Euro Medium Term Note Programme, the drawdown of €1.25 billion in senior notes and Nokia’s tender offer for cash for its existing debt.
- STMicroelectronics N.V. on the issue of $1.5 billion dual tranche senior unsecured convertible bonds, consisting of $750 million zero coupon convertible bonds due 2022 and the $750 million 0.25% convertible bonds due 2024.
- Motor Oil (Hellas) Corinth Refineries S.A. on its high yield bond offering of €350 million 3.125% senior notes due 2022 issued by Motor Oil's direct subsidiary, Motor Oil Finance plc.
- Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, UBS, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, and Credit Suisse as underwriters on the issuance of $260 million 7% senior notes due 2022 by Indonesia-listed PT Lippo Karawaci Tbk (Lippo Karawaci).
- Various hedge funds in connection with their investments in distressed and special situations opportunities.
- A syndicate of 20 investment banks in connection with GTECH’s acquisition financing relating to its acquisition of International Game Technology. At the time, the transaction was the largest bond offering by an Italian issuer in the international capital markets.
- A group of holders of lower tier 2 bonds issued by The Co-operative Bank plc in connection with the bank’s £1.5 billion recapitalization plan.
- Piraeus Bank S.A, Eurobank Ergasias S.A. and Alpha Bank S.A., three of the four systemic banks in Greece, on the management of their non-performing loan portfolios, using securitization and other techniques including the establishment of frameworks for servicing and restructuring such non-performing loans.
- Advising certain noteholders in relation to the restructuring and the scheme of arrangement relating to DTEK Finance B.V.
Magdalene College, Cambridge
Awards & Accolades
- Mei was recognized as one of IFLR1000's Women Leaders for 2019.
- Mei is recommended by Legal 500 UK 2019 for Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency, Acquisition Finance and Bank Lending: Investment Grade Debt and Syndicated Loans.
- Shearman & Sterling was awarded “Deal of the Year” in Greece at CEE Legal Matters Deal of the Year Awards 2019 for its work advising Piraeus Bank S.A. on Project Amoeba.
- Mei was recognized as the best lawyer in Restructuring & Insolvency at the Euromoney Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2018. She was also listed as a leading practitioner in Restructuring & Insolvency in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Expert Guide 2019.
- Shearman & Sterling was “Commended” in the category “Managing Complexity & Scale” in the Financial Times European Innovative Lawyers Awards 2018, for its work on the Frigoglass restructuring.
- Shearman & Sterling was honoured for “Corporate Turnaround” at the 10th Annual Turnaround Atlas Awards and Restructuring Forum 2018, for its work on the Frigoglass restructuring.
- Shearman & Sterling was “Highly Commended” at the Legal Business Awards 2018 for Restructuring Team of the Year, for its work on the Frigoglass restructuring.
- Mei was ranked as a leading individual by Legal 500 UK 2018 and she was recommended for her “pragmatic and results driven mind-set.”
- She is also ranked as “Highly Regarded” by IFLR1000 2017.
- The firm was awarded “Italian Debt Capital Markets Deal of the Year” by Legalcommunity 2016 for its work advising a syndicate of 20 investment banks in connection with GTECH’s acquisition financing relating to its acquisition of International Game Technology.