Doreen Lilienfeld is Global Head of the Governance & Advisory Group and a partner in the Compensation, Governance and ERISA practice.
She focuses on a wide variety of compensation-related matters, including the design and implementation of retention and compensation plans, disclosure and regulatory compliance, and employment negotiations with senior executives. She has advised both U.S. and non-U.S. issuers on corporate governance and regulatory requirements relating to compensation and benefits matters.
Doreen has been a resident in the Frankfurt, London and Bay Area offices of Shearman & Sterling. She is a lecturer in Executive Compensation at the Berkeley School of Law.
- ADS Waste Holdings, Inc., Altice USA, CVS Health Corporation, Genmab, IMAX Corporation, Nokia Corporation, Quest Diagnostics Incorporated, The Chefs’ Warehouse, Valvoline and Dick’s Sporting Goods, in relation to regular executive compensation, disclosure and governance advice
- General Electric in the combination of the GE Oil & Gas Business with Baker Hughes Incorporated to create a $32 billion oilfield provider.
- The Dow Chemical Company in its $5 billion Reverse Morris Trust transaction with Olin for the Chlor-Alkali and Derivatives business, its acquisition of Rohm and Haas Corporation, and its dispositions of Morton Salt to K&S Aktiengesellschaft, Styron to Bain Capital and its global polypropylene business to Braskem and advice to Dow on related compensation and pension matters.
- Salesforce.com in its $2.8 billion public tender offer for Demandware, Inc. and in its acquisition of private company Quip, Inc.
- Altice N.V. in its $17.7 billion purchase of Cablevision
- Liberty Global plc in its acquisition of Cable & Wireless Communications plc in a public transaction valued at $8.2 billion and its $23.3 billion acquisition of Virgin Media plc
- Albemarle Corporation in its $6.2 billion merger with Rockwood Holdings, Inc. and its $3.2 billion sale of its Chemetall Surface Treatment Business to BASF
- B/E Aerospace, Inc. on its process to separate its industry-leading businesses into two independent, publicly traded companies, including management team transitions and appointments related to the separation
- WebMD Health Corp in its sale to KKR in a $2.8 billion tender offer.
- Zillow, Inc. in its acquisition of competitor Trulia, Inc. in a stock-for-stock transaction.
- Quest Diagnostics in various matters, including its acquisitions of Athena Diagnostics, Inc. and Celera Corporation and its $2 billion acquisition of AmeriPath.
Regularly advises individual executives of public companies and private enterprises on employment, severance and retention issues, including:
- The executive team of Talen Energy in its acquisition by Riverstone Holdings
- The management team of MoPub Inc. in its separation from Twitter, Inc.
- David Karp, the founder and CEO of tumblr, with his employment, retention and tax arrangements in connection with its sale to Yahoo! for $1.1 billion
- Carole Hochman as the CEO of Naked Brand Group
- Eileen O’Neill in the negotiation of her employment agreement in connection with her promotion to the position of Global Group President, Discovery Studios
- The management team of Ebates Inc. in the negotiation of a retention plan, employment agreements, and the departure arrangements for the CFO, in connection with Ebates $1 billion acquisition by Rakuten, Inc.
- Victor Luis, the CEO of Coach, Inc.
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
J.D., magna cum laude
- Managing Editor, Cardozo Law Review
New York University
B.A. in Psychology with honors
- New York
- California (inactive)
- Member, Advisory Board, Women in Law Empowerment Forum
- Member, Board of Directors, Lawyers Alliance for New York
- Vice Chair, Non-Qualified Deferred Compensation Committee of the ABA Section of Real Property, Trusts and Estate Law
Awards & Accolades
- Legal directories, such as Chambers and Legal 500 US, have named Doreen as a leader in her field
- Winner of the Chambers Women in Law Award for Leadership in the Community (2015)
- For the past fifteen years, Doreen has spearheaded the publication of the Shearman & Sterling survey of the compensation-related corporate governance practices of the largest 100 domestic issuers