John Madden serves as Of Counsel in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
He advises corporate and other clients on various types of M&A transactions, both negotiated and unsolicited, including tender and exchange offers, takeover defense strategies, joint ventures, divestitures and cross-border transactions. He also represents several leading investment banking firms in M&A transactions and advises clients on corporate governance matters.
Mr. Madden served as Managing Partner of the firm from 2004 to 2008 and as a member of the firm’s Policy Committee for most of the period from 1991 to 2008. Mr. Madden was head of the firm’s global Mergers & Acquisitions Group from 1995 to 2001 and was co-head of the group from 1986 to 1991. From 1991 to 1995, he was Managing Partner of the firm’s European offices, practicing from the firm’s Paris office. He returned to the Paris office to practice there from 2011 to 2014.
- Altice N.V. in its acquisition of Cablevision Corporation
- Société Générale in its sale of Geniki Bank to Piraeus Bank
- Merrill Lynch in its merger with Bank of America
- Mubadala Development Company in its multi-faceted strategic alliance with General Electric Company
- DaimlerChrysler AG in its sale of Chrysler to an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management
- Saudi Basic Industries Corporation in its acquisition of the global plastics business of General Electric Company
- Extended Stay America and of Boca Resorts in their respective sales to affiliates of the Blackstone Group
- Santa Fe International Corporation in its merger with Global Marine Inc. to form GlobalSantaFe Corporation
- The Fuji Bank as majority shareholder of Heller Financial, Inc. in the sale of Heller to General Electric Capital Corporation
- VNU in its acquisition of ACNielsen
- Benjamin Moore & Co. in its sale to Berkshire Hathaway
- Bell Canada International in various transactions, including the establishment of its joint venture with Telmex and SBC to form Telecom Américas
- British Telecommunications plc in its acquisitions of Control Data Systems, Yellow Book and in its agreed merger with MCI Communications Corporation and its subsequent sale of its investment in MCI to WorldCom, Inc.
Fordham Law School
J.D., cum laude
- Articles Editor of the Law Review
University of Pennsylvania
- The New York City Bar Association
- The American Bar Association
- The International Bar Association
- Advisory board member of the World Policy Institute
Awards & Accolades
- John Madden has been recommended as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate governance and M&A in Chambers Global, Chambers USA, The International Who’s Who of Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyers, The International Who’s Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers, and The Best Lawyers in America.