John Marzulli is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
He has more than 30 years’ experience advising clients on complex corporate transactions with an emphasis on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, defensive assignments, privately negotiated acquisitions and divestitures of stock and assets, joint ventures and on related corporate governance matters.
His clients include multinational corporations in industries ranging from chemicals and manufacturing businesses to media conglomerates, financial institutions, asset management firms, and their financial advisors.
Prior to joining the firm, he held a federal district court clerkship.
- General Electric Company on the combination of GE Oil & Gas with Baker Hughes, Inc. to create a $32 billion oilfield technology provider
- GE Capital in the sale of its GE Asset Management business to State Street, in the $2.5 billion sale of a portfolio US, Canadian, Mexican and Brazilian aircraft leases and related aircraft and aircraft loans to Global Jet Capital, its attempted acquisition of Honeywell International, and its acquisitions of Harmon Industries Inc., Greenwich Air Services, UNC as well as the divestiture of its Global eXchange Services business to a private equity consortium
- Taikang Insurance Group on the establishment of a joint venture with New York-based NorthStar Realty Finance Corp.
- Legg Mason in the acquisition of a controlling stake in real estate investment firm Clarion Partners, and in its acquisition of Citigroup’s worldwide asset management business
- Albemarle Corporation in the $3.2 billion sale of its Chemetall Surface Treatment Business to BASF, and in its $6.2 billion acquisition of Rockwood Holdings, Inc.
- Service Corporation International in its acquisition of Stewart Enterprises, Inc.
- ARX Holding Corporation, the parent company of American Strategic Insurance Corporation (ASI), in its sale of a majority interest to The Progressive Corporation
- The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. in its acquisition of the Investor Relations, Public Relations and Multimedia Solutions businesses of Thomson Reuters (Markets) LLC and Thomson Reuters Global Resources, its acquisition of FTEN, Inc., in the creation of a joint venture with SharesPost, Inc. to form The NASDAQ Private Market LLC and in its joint bid, together with the Intercontinental Exchange, for NYSE Euronext
- Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. in its acquisition by Bank of America, its acquisitions of Petrie Parkman & Co., Herzog, Heine, Geduld, Inc., Mercury Asset Management plc, Smith New Court plc and McIntosh Securities Ltd. and the sales of its Global Energy Markets business and its Mortgage Origination and Servicing Business
- The Dow Chemical Company in its acquisition of Rohm and Haas
- Transaction Committee of the Board of Directors of Huntsman Corporation, in its aborted sale to a portfolio company of Apollo
- LMA International N.V. on its sale to Teleflex Incorporated
- Basic Chemical Solutions LLC in connection with its sale to Univar, Inc.
- Northgate Capital in its sale of a majority interest to Religare Enterprises
- BAML Capital Partners in its acquisition of Strategic Partners Holdings, Inc. and its acquisition of Provo Craft & Novelty, Inc.; Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity on its acquisitions of NPC International, Inc. and Convermex SA de CV
- Mittal Steel Co. N.V. in the simultaneous acquisition of LNM Holdings N.V. and merger with International Steel Group Inc. to create the world’s then largest steel company
- ABB Ltd. on the sale of its upstream Oil, Gas & Petrochemicals business to a private equity consortium
- NBC Universal on its acquisition of the Bravo Company cable television programming service from Cablevision, the restructuring of its investments in Ion Media Networks, Inc. and Paxson Communications Corp. and its sale of four owned and operated TV stations to Media General
- Fiat, S.p.A. on its strategic cooperation agreement with General Motors Corp., and Fiat and New Holland N.V. on the acquisition of Case Corporation and the formation of CNH Global, N.V.
- Novartis AG on its acquisition of the over-the-counter consumer medicine business of Bristol Myers Squibb, the acquisition of the adult nutritional supplement business of the Mead Johnson division of Bristol-Myers Squibb, its sale of its oncolytic adenovirus technology to Cell Genesys, as well as its predecessor Sandoz on its merger with Ciba Geigy to form Novartis and on its acquisition of Imutran Ltd.
- Raffles Holdings Ltd. on its acquisition of Swissôtel AG from the SwissAir Group
- The Rank Group Plc on the sale of its 50% interest in Universal Studios Escape to Blackstone Capital Partners III L.P.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Greenhill & Co., and Perella Weinberg Partners when acting as financial advisors
New York University School of Law
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, member
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, member
- Committee on Mergers, Acquisitions and Proxy Contests, Chair, 2008 to 2011; member 2006 to present
- Committee on Securities Regulations, member 2002 – 200
- Past Chairman of the New York City Bar Association’s Committee on Mergers, Acquisitions and Contests for Corporate Control
Awards & Accolades
- John Marzulli was named by The Lawyer as one of 25 “Transatlantic Elite” (2009)
- He has ranked for New York: Corporate M&A by Chambers USA (2011-2017), Chambers Global (2012-2017), IFLR1000, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal (Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Governance)