Matthew Modell is an associate in the Antitrust & Disputes practice group.
His practice focuses on antitrust and other complex litigation at the trial level in federal and state courts throughout the country, including antitrust and trade regulation, including internal and government investigations, criminal antitrust defense, class actions, and private and government antitrust litigation.
Prior to being in private practice, Matt served as a law clerk to Judge Terrence W. Boyle of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
- Defending global energy company in multi-state investigations and litigation alleging fraud, unjust enrichment, and false claims
- Defended major contact lens retailer in a class-action antitrust lawsuit related to the intersection of internet search advertising and trademark law
- Representing corporate and individual clients in Department of Justice criminal investigations, including handling plea negotiations in matters involving automobile parts
- Defended a global beverage company in putative class actions alleging negligence, nuisance, and trespass related to emissions from the company’s facilities
- Providing counseling to clients on antitrust and trade regulation matters, joint ventures and competitor collaborations, price discrimination, distributor relations, and other competition-related issues
- Defended a global retailer in an FTC investigation
- Represented pro bono clients in a jury trial on landlord tenant and domestic violence issues
University of North Carolina
J.D. (With Honors)
- President, Student Bar Association
- James E. and Carolyn B. Davis Society
University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Judge Terrence W. Boyle, United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- District of Columbia
- New York
- North Carolina
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Professional Affiliations and Distinctions
- Member, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- Young Lawyer Representative, Trade Sports and Professional Associations Committee, Section of Antitrust, American Bar Association (2012)
- DC Bar Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2018
- DC Bar Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2017
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2017 and 2018
- Chapter “United States: Cartels”, Global Competition Review, Americas Antitrust Review 2020, co-authored.
- “Criminal Antitrust Sentencing of Individuals: Prosecutorial Trends and Judicial Involvement”, co-author, ABA Antitrust Section Spring Meeting (March 2012)
- “(Dis)Honest Services Fraud: 'Bad men, like good men, are entitled to be tried and sentenced in accordance with law”,' North Carolina Central University Law Review (Spring 2010)
- “Protecting Free Speech in Electioneering Communications: FEC v. Wisconsin Right to Life", North Carolina Journal of Law & Technology” (December 2007)