Paolisa Nebbia is counsel in the Antitrust practice and focuses on Italian and EU competition law and on unfair commercial practices.
Paolisa has in-depth knowledge of the working and dynamics of public enforcers and has handled several complex and high profile cases. Her experience spans across several sectors, ranging from media to consumer products, e-commerce to sports, and from collective rights management to Services of General Economic Interest. She is also part of the Privacy & Data Protection team.
Paolisa has acquired extensive experience working at the Directorate General for Competition of the European Commission (DG COMP) and at the Italian Competition Authority (Autorità Garante della Concorrenza e del Mercato).
She has held professorial appointments in Competition Law and in EU Law at several UK universities, is a former Law Fellow of St. Hilda’s College, University of Oxford, and is currently a visiting professor at the World Intellectual Property Organisation.
- Confidential client. Advising a major European broadcaster on regulatory reform related to the Digital Single Market
- Confidential client. Representing and advising on a cartel investigation by the Italian Competition Authority. (ongoing)
- Confidential client. Representing and advising on a public procurement cartel investigated by the Italian Competition Authority. (ongoing)
Merger clearance cases
- Advising confidential clients on pre-merger issues;
- Clearance of mergers (including for Coesia) before European competition authorities
- Review and clearance of merger notifications as an official of European competition authorities
University of Southampton
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Università degli Studi di Torino
Laurea in Giurisprudenza (J.D. equivalent), cum laude
Paolisa is a regular speaker at conferences covering competition matters, European law and regulatory issues especially in the media sector.
Recent engagements include:
- “Licensing of Audiovisual Content in the Digital Single Market”, DENAE conference Mercado Unico Digital (Madrid, December 2017)
- “Competition law in the digital environment”, panelist, UBC Legal Advanced EU Competition Law Brussels Conference (Brussels, November 2017)
- “The application of antitrust rules to the new economy/platform economy”; Kluwer 6th Annual International Arbitration, Compliance & Competition Law Summit (Seoul, October 2017)
- “Content rights and geoblocking”, IBC Legal Competition Law and Regulation in the Telecoms, Media and Technology Sector (October 2017)
- “Antitrust compliance: Key lessons”, Kluwer 4th Annual International Arbitration, Compliance and Competition Law Summit (Japan, September 2017)
- “Competition law implications of the new ways of providing and consuming audiovisual content in the digital age”, 14th European Digital Forum (Italy, June 2017)
- "Competition remedies to market concentration: the issue of access to content", invited speaker at the European Audiovisual Observatory/Council of Europe conference "Media ownership – market realities and regulatory responses", Brussels, 2016;
- "Il video e la terza rivoluzione di Internet: tendenze di mercato e prospettive di policy" conference-discussion organized by Digit@lians – il network dell'Italia digitale , Brussels, 2016;
- “Business and antitrust in the age of e-commerce” businesses guidance seminar on antitrust and online sales, Milan, 2015.
- “Coty case: Luxury brands can restrict online sale via marketplaces such as Amazon”, Concurrences (December 2017)
- Chapter on “Italy”, International Comparative Legal Guide to: Cartels & Leniency 2018 (November 2017)
- “Access to content anytime, anywhere, any device: How changes in consumption habits shape EU policies”, The In-House Laywer (October 2017)
- “Cartels in Italy” and “Merger control in Italy”, Lexology (September 2017)
- Damages claims for the infringement of competition law, Oxford University Publishing, June 2015 (with I. Lianos and P. Davis);
- “Il concetto di aiuto di Stato”, in L.F. Pace (a cura di), Dizionario sistematico della concorrenza, Jovene, 2013;
- “Competition law and consumer protection against unfair commercial practices: a more than complementary relationship?” invited paper in I. Lianos - I. Kokkoris (ed.) The Global Limits of Competition Law, Stanford University Press, 2012;
- “State Aid Law and the Role of National courts” in E. Szyscszak (Ed.) Handbook of State Aid Law, Elgar Publ., 2011, London;
- “Commento agli articoli 7, 8, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29 del Regolamento 1/2003” and “Commento alla Comunicazione della Commissione Com. 26.9.2008, n. 2008/C245/02 - Linee guida sull’applicazione dell’articolo 81 CE ai servizi di trasporto marittimo” in A. Catricalà - P. Trojano Codice della Concorrenza, UTET, 2010;
- Vertical agreements, volume 21F in Vaughan & Roberson (ed.) Law of the EU, 2008;
- “Do rules on State aid have a life of their own? National procedural autonomy and effectiveness in the Lucchini case” (2008) European Law Review, 428;
- “Damages actions for the infringement of competition law: compensation or deterrence?” (2008) European Law Review 23;
- “…So what happened to Mr. Manfredi? The Italian decision following the ECJ ruling” (2007) European Competition Law Review, 591;
- “Antitrust supervision of the banking sector in Italy: the 2005 reform and the first cases” (2009) European Competition Law Review (co-authored), 378;
- Unfair Terms in European Law. A Study in EU and Comparative law, Hart Publishing, 2007.
- “The notion of “urgency” in interim proceedings concerning competition law: some thoughts after the Microsoft order” (2007) European Competition Law Review 271.