Anthony Cheah Nicholls is an associate in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration practice.
Anthony has experience in international arbitrations conducted under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC) and the London Maritime Arbitration Association (LMAA). His industry experience includes arbitrations in the oil & gas, nuclear and maritime sectors.
International arbitrations on which Anthony Nicholls has worked include the representation of:
- The subsidiary of an Asian State-owned company in the energy sector as Respondent in two parallel ICC arbitrations in Singapore initiated by its Asian joint venture partners. The dispute arises from a joint venture agreement for the development of an oil storage facility and related port facilities in Asia. English law and the law of the Claimants’ State apply.
- A global chemical company as Claimant in an ICC arbitration in Hong Kong against a North Asian rechargeable batteries manufacturer. The dispute has arisen from a Technology Transfer Agreement. The dispute is governed by New York and Korean law.
- A South East Asian marine company in a SIAC arbitration in Singapore against a Singapore shipbuilder. The dispute arises in connection with a Shipbuilding Contract for the construction of a Maintenance Work Vessel. Singapore law applies.
- A South East Asian marine company in an arbitration in London against a Chinese shipbuilder, conducted in accordance with the rules of the London Maritime Arbitration Association (LMAA). The dispute arises in connection with Shipbuilding Contracts for the construction of four Platform Supply Vessels. English law applies.
- A French-German consortium in an ICC arbitration in Stockholm against a Finnish utility company. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of a nuclear power plant in Finland. Finnish law governed. Over €6.1 billion was at stake.
London School of Economics
University of Strasbourg
Diploma in French Legal Studies, (Mention)
- Co-Author, ICC Hybrid Arbitrations Here to Stay: Singapore Courts’ Treatment of the ICC Rules Revisions in Articles 1(2) and 6(2), Journal of International Arbitration, 31, no.3 (2014): 393-412
- Author, Enforcing Mediation Agreements: Why the End is just as Important as the Beginning, Singapore Law Gazette (May 2014).
- Co-Author, PT First Media TBK (formerly known as PT Broadband Multimedia TBK) v Astro Nusantara International BV and others and another appeal  SGCA 57, Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, Vol.29, #1, January 2014.
- Co-Author, Singapore: New Rules, Global Arbitration Review (April 2013).
- Author, The Astro approach to attempts to resist enforcement, Global Arbitration Review (November 2012).
- Co-Author, When should Video Conferencing Evidence be allowed?, Singapore Law Gazette (September 2012). This article received a prize at the inaugural Singapore Law Gazette Feature Article Awards 2013.