John Opar is a partner in the Real Estate practice. He has extensive experience in all areas of commercial real estate law, including foreign investment in U.S. real estate. He has worked frequently on Shari’ah compliant investments and has been involved in development projects in the U.S., the Middle East, China, England, Germany and the Philippines.
John has authored several publications and participated in a number of speaking engagements at seminars and conferences on various real estate subjects.
- Advised Qatar Investment Authority on its investment in Manhattan West, a development site valued upon completion at up to US$8.6 billion.
- Advised Wafra Investment Advisory Group, Inc. in the acquisition of numerous multi-family and office properties including in New York; Washington, D.C.; Miami, Florida.
- Advised Public Institution for Social Security of Kuwait with respect to an investment in a joint venture to acquire a US$1 billion+ portfolio of regional shopping centers.
- Advised a sovereign wealth fund in connection with investments with an operating partner in Manhattan office properties at 230 Park Avenue and 350 Madison Avenue.
- Advised the fee owner in the sale of the ground lessor’s interest in 625 Madison Avenue.
- Advised Mubadala Development Company with respect to an investment in a joint venture to acquire and redevelop The Park Lane Hotel, a luxury high-rise hotel, overlooking Central Park in Manhattan.
- Extensive hotel work with all of the major flags, including Four Seasons, Hilton, Hilton International, Hyatt, Regent, Setai, Swissôtel, Taj, Viceroy and Westin.
University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Arab Bankers Association of North America
- Member, Real Estate Board of New York
Awards & Accolades
- John has been recognized in Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Real Estate Lawyers, New York Super Lawyers and The International Who’s Who of Real Estate Lawyers.