Alexandro M. Padrés is a partner in the Project Development & Finance practice.
He focuses on infrastructure projects as they relate to the electricity (both conventional and clean/renewable), oil and gas telecommunications and mining sectors, with a particular emphasis on Mexico and Latin America. Alexandro’s practice focuses, among others, on advising sponsors and lenders in the power purchase agreements under the new legislative framework in Mexico arising from the Mexico constitutional energy reform, transportation and legacy in IPP projects in Mexico issued by the Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE).
Alexandro advises various financial institutions and sponsors, such as Abengoa, AES Corporation, Petróleos Mexicanos and numerous multilateral agencies, regional and local development banks and export credit agencies.
- Orion Resource Partners and The Blackstone Group, as lenders and investors, in the debt and equity financing of approximately $400 to $450 million of the Fruta del Norte gold and silver mining project in Ecuador
- Transmisora Eléctrica del Norte on the financing of its double circuit 600 km 500 kV transmission line connecting the two major electrical grids in Chile
- Export Development Canada (EDC) in the provision of a revolving loan of up to $80 million to Grupo Petrotemex, S.A. de C.V.
- The joint lead arrangers, in connection with the approximately $230 million project financing for the Roadrunner natural gas pipeline, sponsored by ONEOK Partners and Fermaca
- Grupo Carso and IDEAL on the $535 million project financing for the development of the natural gas pipeline running from Samalayuca, Chihuahua, to Sásabe, Sonora, in Mexico; Also advised Carso Energy, as sponsor, on the $240 million secured bridge financing of the natural gas pipeline running from Samalayuca, Chihuahua, to Sásabe, Sonora, in Mexico
- Energy Transfer Partners, MasTec and Carso Energy, as sponsors, on the $1.2 billion project financing of the Waha-San Elizario and Waha-Presidio natural gas pipeline projects, to carry gas for CFE
- Abengoa on the $200 million bridge loan facility for the Norte III project, a 778 MW ± 15% combined cycle gas turbine power plant in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico
- The lenders on the approximately $890 million senior secured financing related to the development, construction, operation and maintenance of the Los Ramones II Sur gas transportation system in Mexico
- AES Gener S.A. on its $425 million 5. 5.000% senior Rule 144/Reg. S notes offering
- Empresa Electrica Guacolda S.A., a Chilean joint venture between AES Corporation and Global Infrastructure Partners, on its $500 million fixed rate investment grade Rule 144/Reg. S notes offering
- Empresa Electrica Guacolda S.A., a Chilean joint venture between AES Corporation and Global Infrastructure Partners, on its 4.560% Senior Notes due 2025 and its $330 million five-year unsecured syndicated loan facility with various financial institutions
- Pueblo Viejo Dominicana Corporation, a joint venture between Barrick Gold and Goldcorp Inc., on the $1.035 billion project financing for the gold/copper resource in the Dominican Republic, comprising of the reopening of the existing open pit gold mine as well as the development of related infrastructure
- EDC on a $140 million financing, of an approximately $300 million co-financing with the ExIM Bank for the Space-Communication Ltd. AMOS 6-satellite program
New York University School of Law
Instituto Tecnológico Autonómo de México, A.C. (ITAM)
Licenciado en Derecho, with honors
- New York
- United Mexican States
Awards & Accolades
- Listed as “Leading US Attorneys in Mexico” in Legal 500 Private Power List (2017) and as “Up and Coming” for Projects Latin America-wide in Chambers Latin America (2017) and a “Rising Legal Star” by Latin Business Chronicle
- Clients tell The Legal 500 that Alexandro is a “great lawyer,” “very smart” and has “risen to prominence within the group,” and that he is “especially well positioned for financings related to Mexico’s energy reforms.”