Anthony Patten is one of the firm’s Energy Industry Leaders and a partner in the Project Development and Finance practice. He is also the Head of the firm’s Oil and Gas Group.
He focuses his practice on corporate, project development and finance work in the international oil and gas industry and has more than two decades of experience advising on oil and gas mandates globally, including in Africa, North and South America, Europe and Australasia and across the entire value chain.
Anthony represents clients including PETRONAS, ExxonMobil, Golar LNG, One LNG, BW Maritime and Mubadala Petroleum.
- PETRONAS in its $7 billion refinery and petrochemical joint venture with Saudi Aramco in relation to the RAPID Project in Malaysia.
- Golar LNG and One LNG on the development of the Fortuna FLNG project in Equatorial Guinea.
- The sponsors (Pertamina, Marubeni and Sojitz) on the Jawa 1 LNG to power project in Indonesia.
- Mubadala Petroleum on a range of upstream oil and gas transactions in the South East Asia region.
- Golar Power on the development of the Porto de Sergipe LNG-to-Power project in Brazil.
University of Melbourne
Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Bachelor of Commerce
- Victoria, Australia
- England and Wales
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Member, AIPN (Association of International Petroleum Negotiators)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized as a Leading Individual for Energy and Natural Resources in Singapore by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2017)
- Recognized as a Leading Individual for Energy in Singapore by Legal 500 (2017)
- Clients tell Chambers Asia Pacific that “He takes a broader perspective than just purely legal. He is responsive to the way my company works.” (2017)
- Peers tell Chambers Asia Pacific that “He always comes out top for negotiations.” (2017)
- Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Anthony worked as senior in house counsel with Royal Dutch Shell plc (in the U.K. and Dubai) and with other leading international law firms.