Karl J. Pires is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
Karl has more than 20 years’ experience advising clients on a broad range of cross-border M&A transactions, including strategic acquisitions, investments, divestitures and joint ventures, corporate reorganizations, and asset purchases and sales. His practice focuses on representing Japanese clients on transactions outside Japan and assisting multinational clients with transactions in Japan, and he has worked with clients in the energy (including gas, power and renewables), industrial (including automotive and chemicals), healthcare and technology industries.
In addition to his work with clients, Karl is an Adjunct Professor at the Keio University Law School in Tokyo where he teaches a course on mergers and acquisitions.
- A Canadian pension plan investment board on its acquisition of a U.S.-based multinational energy company for $6.1 billion to take private a clean energy business with 28 renewable energy projects totaling 4.4 gigawatts across the U.S., Canada and Japan, including onshore wind, offshore wind and solar power facilities.
- A Japanese financial institution on its investment in a $2.05 billion 376-megawatt offshore wind project in Taiwan.
- A Japanese financial institution on its investment in a $2.3 billion 860-megawatt offshore wind project in the U.K.
- A Japanese energy company on its acquisitions of equity interests in project companies respectively constructing a $775 million 725-megawatt combined-cycle gas-fired power plant in Maryland and a $700 million 1,050-megawatt combined-cycle gas-fired power plant in Pennsylvania.
- A Japanese conglomerate on its investment in upstream shale gas assets in British Columbia, Canada.
- A Japanese trading company on its minority equity interests in project companies respectively operating a 400-megawatt combined-cycle gas-fired power plant and a 240-megawatt tri-fuel power plant in the Middle East.
- A Brazilian multinational energy company on its sale of an oil refinery company in Japan.
- A Japanese energy company on its respective investments in an $845 million combined-cycle gas-fired power plant in New Jersey and a $775 million 805-megawatt combined-cycle gas-fired power plant in Connecticut.
- A Japanese energy company on the establishment of a joint venture with a Mongolian investment company to develop wind power projects in Mongolia.
- A Japanese trading company on its investment in a solar PV power plant project in the Middle East.
- A Japanese chemicals company on the sale of its global storage solutions business to a Taiwanese optical disc manufacturer.
- A Japanese chemicals company on its US$400 million acquisition of a global activated carbon manufacturer from a Sweden-based seller.
- A Japanese heavy industry manufacturer on the acquisition of a Swiss industrial coatings manufacturer.
- A Japanese industrial paint manufacturer on its acquisition of a German automotive paint manufacturer.
- A Canadian automotive parts manufacturer on its acquisition of a Japanese convertible rooftop manufacturer from a German seller.
- A Japanese automotive parts manufacturer on its acquisition of a German mechatronic systems manufacturer.
- A Japanese automotive parts manufacturer on its acquisition of a German air brake components manufacturer.
- A Japanese medical devices manufacturer on its acquisition of a medical devices distribution business in Argentina.
- A Japanese pharmaceutical company on its minority investment in a Canadian pharmaceutical startup developing vision care products.
- A U.S.-based medical devices manufacturer on its acquisition of the Japanese subsidiary of a multinational medical devices manufacturer.
- A Japanese technology company on its $1.5 billion acquisition of a U.S.-based manufacturer of refrigerated display cases/systems.
- A Japanese technology company on its acquisition of a 51% share of a Canadian back office software provider in the quick service restaurant industry.
- A Japanese technology company on its acquisition of hard disk drive manufacturing equipment in China and Malaysia.
- A Japanese technology company on its sale of a hard disk drive manufacturer in Thailand to a U.S.-based buyer.
- A Japanese technology company on its sale of its North American unified communications business to a Canadian buyer
- A Japanese financial sponsor on its acquisition of an equity interest in a high-speed rail project in Texas.
- A Japanese railway company on its development stage and technical services agreements with project companies developing high-speed rail projects in the U.S.
University of Toronto Faculty of Law
University of Victoria
BA in Economics and Pacific and Asian Studies
- New York
- British Columbia Canada
- Japan (as a Registered Foreign Lawyer)
- Elected Governor of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Japan (CCCJ) since June 2013
- Officer, Daini Tokyo Bar Association International Committee
Awards & Accolades
- IFLR1000 Highly Regarded for M&A in Japan (2021)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific Band 4 for Corporate/M&A in Japan (2020-2021)
- “Private Equity in China, India and Beyond”, 28th Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Conference (Manila, Philippines), March 2018
- “Renewable Energy Trends to Watch in 2018”, 27th Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Conference (Auckland, New Zealand), April 2017
- “Opportunities for Japanese Investors in a Distressed Mining and Metals Environment”, Japan Institute for Overseas Investment (Tokyo, Japan), March 2016
- “M&A: Managing Legal Risk in Turbulent Times”, Japan In-House Counsel Network (Tokyo, Japan), November 2012