Richard Porter is a senior associate in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
He advises on a wide range of cross-border corporate transactions, including public and private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, equity issues and restructurings. He is also a member of Shearman & Sterling's Technology, Media & Telecommunications, Energy and Private Capital industry groups.
- Intercontinental Exchange on its partnership with Abu Dhabi National Oil Company and nine of the world’s largest energy traders to establish ICE Futures Abu Dhabi, a new Murban oil exchange.
- AlbaCore Capital on its arrangements with TDR Capital for the £1.9 billion takeover of BCA Marketplace plc.
- Marlin Equity Partners on the acquisition of Wax Digital and its merger with Medius (a Marlin portfolio company).
- Discovery, Inc. on its agreement with BBC Studios to separate their 50/50 UKTV joint venture following which the parties hold UKTV's former lifestyle and entertainment businesses respectively.
- GE on the $3.25 billion sale of its Distributed Power business to Advent International.
- Liberty Global plc on the sale of its European assets to Vodafone for $22.7 billion.
- Liberty Global plc on its split-off of Liberty Latin America Ltd., with an enterprise value of approximately $9.3 billion.
- Etraveli AB, a portfolio company of CVC Capital Partners Fund VI, on its acquisition of e-Travel SA.
- CVC Capital Partners Fund VI on its acquisition of Metropolitan Hospital Group.
- IFM Investors on its acquisition of a minority stake in VTTI B.V.
- Attica Bank S.A. on the sale of its non-performing loan portfolio to Aldridge EDC Specialty Finance.
- The Dow Chemical Company on its intra-group reorganization in connection with its merger with DuPont.
- Viacom on its $345 million acquisition of Televisión Federal S.A. from Telefónica S.A.
- Investcorp International Limited on its £300 million sale of the Tyrrells group to Amplify Snack Brands, Inc.Liberty Global plc on the takeover of Cable & Wireless Communications plc at an enterprise value of $8.2 billion.
- Irish Residential Properties REIT plc on its €215 Million Capital Raise.
- Fairfax on its £1.2 billion takeover of Brit plc.
- Qatar Investment Authority on its £2.6 billion takeover of Songbird Estates plc and the follow-on £4.1 billion takeover of Canary Wharf Group plc.
- Citi Holdings on the sale of various mortgage portfolios by Future Mortgages Limited and Canada Square Operations Limited and on the sale of Future Mortgages Limited.
- GE on various potential acquisitions in the oil & gas sector.
- Hague & London Oil B.V. on its share for share exchange with Wessex Exploration PLC.
- Vitruvian Partners LP on its acquisition of a majority stake in JAC Group (Holdings) Limited.
- ICE Benchmark Administration Limited on the acquisition of the ISDAFIX Benchmark from International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc.
- IntercontinentalExchange and Euronext on their intra-group reorganization and €1.3 Billion Initial Public Offering of Euronext.
- IntercontinentalExchange on various internal corporate matters.
- Viacom on its £450 million acquisition of Channel 5 Broadcasting.
- Intuit Inc. on its acquisition of Acrede Technology Group Holdings Limited.
- New England Sports Ventures on its acquisition of Liverpool Football Club.
- Aabar Investments on Aabar's and Daimler's acquisition of a 75.1% stake in Brawn GP, winner of the 2009 Formula 1 constructors' and drivers' championships.
- Aabar Investments PJSC on its $280 million acquisition of a 32% stake in Galactic Ventures, LLC, the holding company of the world’s first commercial spaceline, Virgin Galactic.
- Symphony Technology Group on its purchase of the Bernard Hodes business in the UK.
- Irish Residential Properties REIT plc on its €200 Million Initial Public Offering.
- Morgan Stanley Private Equity on the disposal of its majority stake in Zenith Vehicle Contracts Limited.
- Electra Private Equity on its £150 million acquisition of a majority stake in Hotter Shoes.
- Investcorp International Limited on its £100 million acquisition of a majority stake in Tyrrells Group Holdings Limited.
- Barry Callebaut AG on its $950 million acquisition of the cocoa ingredients business of Petra Foods Limited.
- American Sugar Refining, Inc. on its investment in Belize Sugar Industries Limited.
- Lecta S.A. on its corporate reorganization and €670 million refinancing.
- Lecta S.A. on its €45 million acquisition of PaperlinX's Italian Operations.
- BE Aerospace, Inc on its $398 million acquisition of UFC Aerospace Corp.
- Bakkavör on its £350 million high yield bond offering and £380 million senior credit facility.
- Towergate Finance Plc on its £520 million bond offering and £410 million loan facilities.
- Advent International on the financing of the acquisition of The Priory Group from The Royal Bank of Scotland plc.
- Stanhope Plc on its joint acquisition, with private equity firm Benson Elliot Capital Management, of a majority interest in Reading's Station Hill development project.
- Abu Dhabi Media Investment Corp on its 50:50 joint venture with Sky to set up and operate a 24-hour Arabic language news and current affairs channel under the Sky News brand across the MENA region.
- BE Aerospace, Inc on its $162 million acquisition of Satair A/S's OEM distribution business.
- Vector Capital on its takeover of Trafficmaster plc.
- Citigroup Global Markets Limited, HSBC Bank plc, ING N.V., London Branch and Lloyds TSB Bank plc as mandated lead arrangers on the financing of the Care UK group, comprising a £80 million senior secured revolving credit facility and £250 million senior secured notes.
- BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole and Merrill Lynch International as joint bookrunners, and a syndicate of banks as managers on the issue by CDP Financial Inc. of its €750 million 3.50 per cent. fixed rate guaranteed notes due June 2020 guaranteed by The Caisse de dépôt et placement de Québec.
- The underwriters (led by HSBC Securities (USA) Inc.) on HSBC Bank plc’s global offering of $4.2 billion bonds.
- Banco Santander (Brazil) on English law in its issuance of $500 million 4.5% notes due 2015.
- China Development Bank and Bank of China as lenders to the $1 billion Salalah Independent Water and Power Project in Oman.
- Scandent Holdings on the acquisition by Xchanging plc of a 75% stake in Indian-listed Cambridge Solutions Limited, in which Scandent is the largest shareholder.
- ICE Clear Europe on the setting up of its credit default swap (CDS) clearing service, one of the first European CDS clearing houses.
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice
Oxford University, St Peter's College
Awards & Accolades
- Recommended by Legal 500 UK in M&A: Upper Mid-Market and Premium deals, £250m+
- Recommended by Legal 500 UK in Private Equity: Transactions