Patrick Reinikainen is a senior associate in the firm’s Litigation practice.
Patrick focuses his practice on representing clients in complex civil litigation and appeals, including securities, antitrust, and shareholder class actions, and regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings brought by the Department of Justice, Securities Exchange Commission, and state attorneys general. He also has experience advising companies across industries on a variety of FCPA, anti-money laundering, insider trading, FinTech, and data privacy issues.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Patrick served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Thomas P. Griesa in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the Honorable Julio M. Fuentes in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Representing a major financial institution in an antitrust class action suit alleging the existence of a boycott conspiracy.
- Representing an underwriter in a securities class action brought against a medical device company in connection with its development of an innovative medical therapy.
- Representing a major financial institution in the defense of a class action antitrust suit relating to payment card interchange fees.
- Representing a company in a suit alleging misappropriation of trade secrets in violation of state and federal laws.
- Defending a global investment bank against aiding and abetting claims in a suit challenging a $125 million take-private transaction.*
- Representing a major financial institution in multiple securities lawsuits brought in state and federal courts alleging violations of Sections 11, 12(a)(2), and 15 of the Securities Act of 1933.*
- Defending a private equity firm in a suit alleging violations of the New York’s fraudulent conveyance statute.*
Civil and Criminal Investigations
- Representing multinational companies and individuals in SEC and DOJ investigations into alleged violations of the FCPA and federal securities laws.*
- Representing a private equity firm in an SEC enforcement action concerning alleged violations of Investment Advisers Act.*
- Representing an international executive in the life sciences industry relating to a global FCPA and accounting fraud investigation by the SEC and DOJ.*
- Representing a global bank in a major FIRREA investigation brought by the DOJ.*
- Representing a major retail company in a joint investigation by the DOJ and multiple state attorneys general involving alleged violations of the False Claims Act.*
- Representing a client facing criminal allegations of conspiracy and bank fraud in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.*
- Conducting internal investigations for companies across sectors.*
- Assisting companies in responding to FINRA trading inquiries.*
- Advising companies on compliance with federal and state anti-money laundering rules and regulations.*
- Representing a pro bono client on appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court in connection with an Eighth Amendment challenge.*
- Representing a group of constitutional law professors as amici curae in a case involving an issue of first impression.*
University at Buffalo School of Law
University of Minnesota
B.A., with High Distinction
- New York
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Board Member, The Legal Aid Society – New Leadership Program
- Co-Chair, University at Buffalo Law School New York City Alumni Chapter
- Board Member, Brooklyn Defender Services’ Family Defense Practice, Associates Advisory Board
- Panelist, “How KYC/AML Regulation Changes are Shaping Cross-Border Transactions,” Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law – JILB Symposium on Foreign Direct Investment (February 15, 2019).
- Co-author, “Global Anti-Money Laundering: Investigations and Compliance Trends in the Fintech Era,” Bloomberg Law (June 12, 2019).
- Co-author, “Examining Transparency International’s 24th Annual Corruption Perception Index: Key Critiques and Takeaways,” The Anti-Corruption Report (April 3, 2019).
- Co-author, “Cybersecurity’s Developing Role In FCPA Compliance,” Law360 (January 11, 2019).
- Co-author, “Recent Developments in Latin American Anti-Corruption Enforcement,” The Anti-Corruption Report (January 9, 2019).
- Co-author, “U.S. v. Panasonic Avionics Corp. — FCPA Enforcement Action Highlights Best Practices in Mitigating Third-Party Risk,” BNA (June 1, 2018).
- Co-author, “Global Perspectives On High Court Microsoft Warrant Case,” Law360 (January 10, 2018).