Yael Ribco Borman is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
Yael has advised companies, State-owned entities and States in international arbitrations under the Rules of the ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC and CRCICA, particularly in disputes related to oil & gas, renewable energies and infrastructure. Her experience includes investment treaty arbitrations under both bilateral and multilateral treaties, as well as commercial arbitrations. Yael has also worked alongside local counsel in setting aside proceedings before domestic courts.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Yael worked as an associate in a Uruguayan law firm.
International arbitrations on which Yael Ribco Borman has worked include the representation of:
- Rasia FZE and Joseph K. Borkowski, Claimants in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Republic of Armenia under the U.S.-Armenia bilateral investment treaty (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/28). The dispute arises from concession agreements related to a railway and highway construction project. Over $150 million is at stake.
- A leading European energy group in a UNCITRAL arbitration against the Kingdom of Spain under the Energy Charter Treaty. The dispute relates to measures taken by Spain in the renewable energy sector.
- Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS), Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) and the Arab Republic of Egypt in four arbitrations arising out of a long-term contract relating to the export of Egyptian gas to Israel.
- The majority shareholders in the former Yukos Oil Company in proceedings initiated in multiple jurisdictions to seek the recognition and enforcement of the $50 billion awards rendered in the arbitrations brought by the shareholders against the Russian Federation concerning the expropriation of their investments in Yukos.
- The majority shareholders in the former Yukos Oil Company in proceedings initiated by the Russian Federation before the Dutch courts to set aside the $50 billion award rendered in the arbitrations brought by the shareholders against the Russian Federation concerning the expropriation of their investments in Yukos.
Universidad de Montevideo Law School
Universiteit van Amsterdam
LL.M. International and European Law: International Trade and Investment Law, cum laude
- Mitglied der Rechtsanwaltskammer Frankfurt am Main
- Member, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Member, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- Member, Young ICCA
- Member, Young ICSID
- Member, Young Public International Law Group (YPILG)
- Member, Young ITA
- Member, DIS 40
- Member, Colombian Very Young Arbitration Practitioners
- “International Commercial Arbitration in Latin America: Recent developments and trends,” in Young Arbitration Review, Vol. 31 (2018)
- “Mining in Latin America: El Dorado or Pandora’s Pit?,” in Transnational Dispute Management, Latin America Special, Vol. 5 (2016) (co-author)
- “Treaty Shopping through Corporate Restructuring of Investments: Legitimate Corporate Planning or Abuse of Rights?,” in The Hague Yearbook of International Law, Vol. 24 (2011)
- “Cyber Security and Data protection in the Resolution of Transatlantic Disputes,” Y-ADR – DIS40 Seminar, Frankfurt, Germany, 6 March 2019 (Moderator)
- “The Post-Hearing Phase in Arbitral Proceedings,” DIS40, Frankfurt, Germany, 27 November 2018
- “Young Practitioners and the Future of International Investment Law,” Investment Arbitration in Colombia: Challenges for the Country and Region, Bogotá, Colombia, 21-22 March 2018