Margaret Ryan is a senior associate in International Arbitration practice. She represents and advises companies and States in international arbitrations conducted under the auspices of a variety of rules, including the ICC, LCIA, CRCICA, ICSID, SCC and UNCITRAL Rules. Her practice focuses particularly on international investment and energy disputes and matters involving clients and interests in Africa and Europe.
International arbitrations on which Margaret Ryan has worked include the representation of:
- Rasia FZE and Joseph K. Borkowski, Claimants in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Republic of Armenia under the U.S.-Armenia bilateral investment treaty (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/28). The dispute arises from concession agreements related to a railway and highway construction project. Over $150 million is at stake.
- The Arab Republic of Egypt as Respondent in two investor-State arbitrations concerning alleged violations of investors’ rights under the Egypt-Poland, Egypt-U.S. and Egypt-Germany bilateral investment treaties. The investment concerns a long-term contract for the supply of natural gas.
- Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS) and Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) in two commercial arbitrations against East Mediterranean Gas S.A.E. (EMG), respectively conducted under ICC Arbitration Rules in Geneva and under CRCICA Rules in Cairo. The dispute arises out of a long term gas supply contract between EGAS, EGPC and EMG.
- Three European chemical companies in an ICC arbitration in Paris against European subsidiaries of a large North American chemical concern. The dispute arose from the confidentiality provision contained in a joint venture agreement formed to manufacture a product used for the production of nylon. French law applied and the language of the arbitration was both French and English. Settlement was achieved.
- Mercuria Energy Group Ltd., a Cypriot energy company, as Claimant in an arbitration against the Republic of Poland. The dispute arose out of the Polish Authorities’ conduct in relation to an alleged failure to keep and to establish mandatory reserves of refined products. The claims were brought under the Energy Charter Treaty and the arbitration was conducted under the auspices of the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce. The amount at stake was in excess of $700 million.
- A North African energy company as Respondent in an ad hoc arbitration in London initiated by a European company. The dispute arose from a sales contract. English law applied. The claim filed against our client was dismissed.
University of Cambridge
M.Phil. European Philosophy
B.A., Joint Honours, Contemporary Philosophy/German/French
- Member, ICC Commission Arbitration Task Force on “Maximizing the Probative Value of Witness Evidence”
- Member, ICC Canadian Arbitration Committee
- Member, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Member, British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL)
- Member, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- Member, Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP)
- Member, Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (Young ICCA)
- Member, Young Institute for Transnational Arbitration (Young ITA)
- Member, ICDR Young & International
- Research Assistant and Co-Team Leader, New York Convention Guide Project (www.newyorkconvention1958.org)
- “Is there a ‘Nationality’ of Investment? Origin of Funds and Territorial Link to the Host State,” in Jurisdiction in Investment Treaty Arbitration, IAI Series on International Arbitration No. 8, at 97 (Y. Banifatemi ed., Juris Publishing, 2018) (Author)
- “Meeting the requirements of article 3(3) of the IBA rules,” in Defining Issues in International Arbitration: Celebrating 100 Years of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (OUP: 2016) (with M. McNeill)
- “Preparing Witness Statements in International Arbitration,” in PLI International Arbitration 2015 (with M. McNeill)
- “Glamis Gold, Ltd. v. The United States and the Fair and Equitable Treatment Standard,” 56 McGill Law Journal 919 (2011) (Author)
- Panellist, Young ITA Talks London, “Oil & Gas Arbitration involving States and State Entities” (May 2018)
- Panellist, ICC Canada International Arbitration Conference, “Mareva Injunctions in Support of the Enforcement of Arbitral Awards” (October 2016)
- Speaker, McGill Journal of Dispute Resolution Symposium, “Evidence in International Arbitration: Rules & Practices” (February 2016)