Mr. Schodek, a partner in the Financial Restructuring & Insolvency practice, has extensive experience representing debtors, creditors, financial institutions, hedge funds, acquirers of assets, purchasers and sellers of claims, and other parties in interest in large and complex prepackaged, pre-negotiated and traditional Chapter 11 bankruptcies, out-of-court workouts, debtor-in-possession financings, adversary proceedings, and broker-dealer liquidations. He also advises financial institutions in closing out and structuring new derivatives transactions with distressed entities. Mr. Schodek began his career at Shearman & Sterling in 2002 and is a former Co-Chair of the Courts and Legislation Subcommittee of the Committee on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization of the New York City Bar Association.
- Citibank, N.A., as administrative agent and collateral agent to and letter of credit issuer under Westinghouse Electric Company LLC’s $800 million DIP financing facility
- Revolving Credit Facility Agent of Pacific Drilling S.A.
- One of the largest bank credit facility lenders to Sun Edison family of companies
- First lien agent in out-of-court restructuring of Foresight Energy LLC
- Deutsche Bank AG New York Branch as lead arranger and agent in connection with $5.475 billion DIP financing for Energy Future Intermediate Holding Company LLC and Citibank, N.A. as agent on a $6.3 billion refinancing of that facility
- Provisional Liquidator of Energy XXI Ltd, appointed by the Supreme Court of Bermuda, in the Chapter 11 cases of Energy XXI Ltd and certain of its affiliates
- Various financial institutions in connection with their derivatives exposure to Linn Energy, LLC, Penn Virginia Corporation, Atlas Resources Partners LP, Sandridge Energy, Inc., Breitburn Energy Partners LP, Halcón Resources Corporation and other oil and gas companies
- Nordic Trustee ASA and Wealth Holdings, Inc. in connection with the Chapter 11 cases of Primorsk International Shipping Limited and certain of its affiliates
- Certain financial institutions with respect to Dodd-Frank resolution planning and related issues
- Bank of America, N.A., as administrative agent in connection with a $30 million senior secured superpriority debtor-in-possession credit facility for Synagro Technologies, Inc. and as administrative agent for Synagro’s $390 million prepetition first lien facility
- Bank of America and Merrill Lynch in connection with their worldwide exposure to Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and its affiliates, including in connection with the U.S. Chapter 11 cases of various Lehman affiliates and SIPA proceeding of Lehman Brothers Inc.
- Merrill Lynch in connection with the Bermudan insolvency proceedings of ParkCentral Global Hub Limited
- Sun Chemical Corporation and its affiliates in connection with the Chapter 11 cases of Eastman Kodak Company and certain of its affiliates and the Chapter 11 cases of Vertis Holdings, Inc. and certain of its affiliates
- IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE) in connection with safe harbor/counterparty risk analysis as well as their worldwide exposure to MF Global Holdings Ltd. and its affiliates, including in connection with the U.S. Chapter 11 cases of various MF Global affiliates and the SIPA proceeding of MF Global Inc.
- Plan Administrators for the Chapter 11 plan of Sea Containers Ltd. and certain of its affiliates
- Stock Building Supply Holdings, LLC, one of the largest suppliers of building materials to professional home builders and contractors in the United States, in connection with its prepackaged Chapter 11 cases
- Countrywide Financial Corporation in connection with the Chapter 11 cases of Residential Capital, LLC and certain of its affiliates
- Pope & Talbot, Inc., a forest products company, in connection with its Chapter 11 cases
- Oneida Ltd., one of the world’s largest marketers of stainless steel silverware/flatware, in connection with its prenegotiated Chapter 11 reorganization
- The Spiegel Group, in connection with its Chapter 11 restructuring of $1.4 billion in aggregate indebtedness through the standalone reorganization of Eddie Bauer
- Innovative Communication Company, LLC and Emerging Communications, Inc., the parent companies of Virgin Islands Telephone Company, in connection with their Chapter 11 cases
- Citibank, N.A. in connection with the Chapter 11 case of The Educational Resources Institute, Inc.
- Provisional Liquidator of ProtoStar Ltd. and certain of its Bermudan affiliates, appointed by the Supreme Court of Bermuda, in the Chapter 11 cases of ProtoStar Ltd. and certain of its U.S. and Bermudan affiliates
- Joint Provisional Liquidators of Sea Containers Ltd., appointed by the Supreme Court of Bermuda, in the Chapter 11 cases of Sea Containers Ltd. and certain of its affiliates
- Landesbank Baden-Württemberg, as agent, in connection with a commercial mortgage loan to certain subsidiaries of FX Real Estate & Entertainment Inc.
- Diversicom Site Development, in the defense of a preference action brought by a subsidiary of Velocita Corp., which resulted in a favorable settlement to Diversicom
- Macquarie Bank Limited in connection with its sale of Smarte Carte Inc., a world concessionaire of airport baggage cart, stroller and electronic locker services
- Citibank, N.A., in connection with the Chapter 11 cases of Visteon Corporation and certain of its affiliates
- Citibank, N.A. in connection with the Chapter 11 cases of Lear Corporation and certain of its affiliates
- Bechtel Group Inc. in connection with the Chapter 11 cases of Calpine Corporation and certain of its affiliates
- Technip in connection with the Chapter 11 case of Superior Offshore International, Inc.
- Insilco Corporation, a manufacturer of telecommunication and electrical component products, in the sale of substantially all of its assets in a liquidating Chapter 11 proceeding
Cornell Law School
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- “Lehman Brothers: treatment of TBA contracts,” Journal of Investment Compliance, May 2012 (Volume 13, Issue 2) (with Fredric Sosnick and Alexa Loo)
- “Living Will Requirements for Financial Institutions,” Practical Law Company, May 2012 (with Gregg L. Rozansky and Shriram Bhashyam)
- “If the Cap Fits: Landlord Claims for Breaches of Repair and Maintenance Covenants in Bankruptcy,” Bloomberg Law Reports, December 20, 2010 (with Douglas P. Bartner and Ryan C. Knutson)
- “Capping Landlords’ Lease Rejection Damage Claims,” New York Law Journal, June 28, 2010 (with Douglas P. Bartner and Ryan C. Knutson)
- “Bankruptcy Court Orders Prime Broker to Repay Over $141 Million of Margin Payments to Collapsed Hedge Fund’s Estate,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, July/August 2007 (with Fredric Sosnick)