Jesse Sherrett is a senior associate in the International Arbitration practice.
Jesse represents public and private sector clients in complex multinational disputes across a range of sectors including the engineering and construction, government, energy, mining, private equity, maritime, sports and IT industries.
Jesse currently represents multinational clients in arbitrations and court litigation in North America, Europe and the Middle East. Jesse has represented clients in arbitrations conducted under the ICC, LMAA, LCIA and National Hockey League Rules and has appeared before several state and federal courts in the United States.
International arbitrations on which Jesse Sherrett has worked include the representation of and/or advice to:
- Two international construction contractors, Respondents in an ICC arbitration brought by a Middle Eastern State entity arising out of the development of a world-class medical facility in the Middle East. Law of the Claimant’s State, London seat. Over $3.7 billion at stake.
- Turkish contractor Enka Insaat ve Sanayi AS in an ICC arbitration in London against U.S. insurance group Chubb. The dispute concerns claims filed before Russian courts by Chubb, in breach of an arbitration agreement, in relation to a fire at a power plant in which our client was building equipment. $400 million at stake.
- A North American mining company, Respondent and Counter-claimant, in a dispute before a U.S. state court brought by its principal contractor regarding the construction of a mine in North America. The dispute relates to delays and cost overruns on the project. U.S. law governs.
- A French-German consortium, Claimant in an ICC arbitration in Stockholm against a Finnish utility company. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of a nuclear power plant in Finland. Finnish law applied. Over €6.1 billion was at stake.
- Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) on its enactment of arbitration regulations, arbitration guidelines and court rules.
- Intercontinental Exchange on its partnership with Abu Dhabi National Oil Company and nine of the world’s largest energy traders to establish ICE Futures Abu Dhabi, a new exchange in Abu Dhabi Global Market hosting the world’s first Murban crude oil futures contracts.
- A North Asian company in an LMAA arbitration arising from a contract to build an offshore construction vessel. London seat, English law applied. Over $150 million was at stake.
- A national oil company in the Middle East on a dispute with an international oil company regarding the expiration of an offshore oil and gas concession.
- An Egyptian private equity firm on various shareholder and M&A disputes relating to oil and gas ventures in the Middle East.
- Two Middle Eastern construction and engineering companies as joint subcontractors in a dispute with a European contractor. The dispute arose from a subcontract for the construction of an ammonium nitrate plant in the Middle East. English law applied.
- A Middle Eastern luxury goods retailer in connection with a warranty claim (for a material adverse change) asserted by a private equity investor and arising from a share purchase agreement. English law applied.
- An oil and gas exploration company on potential claims against its joint venture partner in connection with an offshore oil and gas project in Morocco.
- A UAE government entity on sovereign immunity issues relating to project and lending documents.
Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
King's College London
University of Toronto
B.A. (Hons), International Relations (with distinction)
- New York
- District of Columbia
- New York Supreme Court - Appellate Division - First Department
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- Member, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- Member, Society of Construction Law
- “Young Arbitrator Debate Series,” American Society of International Law (online), 11 February 2021 (Debater)
- “Fundamentals of Arbitrator Ethics,” International Law Institute, November 2020 (Guest lecturer)
- ADGM Arbitration Centre Guidelines Roundtable, March 2019 (Speaker)
- “Introduction to International Arbitration,” New York University Abu Dhabi (2017-2019) (Guest lecturer)
- “Recent Trends in Arbitration in MENA,” ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) Conference, Dubai, 12 November 2018 (Panellist)
- Young MENA Groups Conference, CIArb, Dubai, 13 November 2018 (Panellist)
Before joining Shearman & Sterling, Jesse practiced in the litigation and arbitration group of an international firm in New York.