Jesse Sherrett is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
His experience includes representation of public and private sector clients in complex multinational disputes across a range of sectors including the financial, construction, government, energy, resource, retail, sports and IT industries.
Jesse currently represents multinational clients in arbitrations seated in Europe and the Middle East, as well as having previously acted in complex court litigation in various jurisdictions in the United States.
International arbitrations on which Jesse Sherrett has worked include the representation of:
- Two international construction contractors as Respondents in an ICC arbitration brought by a Middle Eastern State entity arising out of the development of a world-class medical facility in the Middle East. Law of the Claimant’s State, London seat. Over $3.7 billion at stake.
- North Asian company in an LMAA arbitration arising from a contract to build an offshore construction vessel. London seat, English law applied. Over $150 million was at stake.
- A French-German consortium as Claimant in an ICC arbitration in Stockholm against a Finnish utility company. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of a nuclear power plant in Finland. Finnish law applied. Over €6.1 billion was at stake.
- Advising a national oil company in the Middle East on a dispute with an international oil company regarding the expiration of an offshore oil and gas concession.
- Advising an Egyptian private equity firm on various shareholder and M&A disputes relating to various oil and gas ventures.
- Two Middle Eastern construction and engineering companies as joint subcontractors in a dispute with a European contractor. The dispute arose from a subcontract for the construction of an ammonium nitrate plant in the Middle East. English law applied.
- A Middle Eastern luxury goods retailer in connection with a warranty claim (for a material adverse change) asserted by a private equity investor and arising from a share purchase agreement. English law applied.
- Advising an oil and gas exploration company on potential claims against its joint venture partner in connection with an offshore oil and gas project in Morocco.
- Advising a UAE government entity on sovereign immunity issues relating to project and lending documents.
- Advising Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) on its enactment of arbitration regulations, arbitration guidelines and court rules.
Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
King's College London
University of Toronto
B.A. (Hons), International Relations (with distinction)
- New York Supreme Court - Appellate Division - First Department
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- Member, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Society of Construction Law
- Speaker, ADGM Arbitration Centre Guidelines Roundtable (March 2019)
- Guest lecturer, New York University Abu Dhabi, “Introduction to International Arbitration” (January 2019, April 2018, April 2017)
- Panellist, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) Conference, “Recent Trends in Arbitration in MENA” (November 2018)
- Panellist, CIArb Young MENA Groups Conference (November 2018)
Before joining Shearman & Sterling, Jesse practiced in the litigation and arbitration group of an international firm in New York.