Ryan Shores is a partner in the Litigation and Antitrust practices.
He focuses on antitrust and other complex litigation at the trial and appellate levels in federal and state courts throughout the country.
Ryan served as a law clerk to the late Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist of the US Supreme Court and Judge Kenneth F. Ripple of the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Defending online retailer in putative antitrust class action and FTC challenge to trademark settlement agreements related to search advertising.
- Defending government contractor in putative antitrust class action related to alleged “no-poach” agreements.
- Defending bank in putative antitrust class action alleging manipulation of financial instrument.
- Defended energy company in cases alleging antitrust, breach of contract, RICO, and other theories related to alleged underpayment of royalties.
- Defended energy company in multi-state investigations and litigation alleging fraud, unjust enrichment, and false claims.
- Defended containerboard and box manufacturer in antitrust class action alleging a conspiracy among competitors to reduce supply and fix prices.
- Defended aerospace company in antitrust action challenging exclusive dealing agreement. Case voluntarily dismissed by plaintiff.
- Defended supplier of cement and concrete in two putative antitrust class actions alleging price-fixing, market allocation, and customer allocation. Court denied certification of both putative classes.
- Defended national food service vendor in putative antitrust class action challenging vendor’s agreement with a state university. Trial court dismissed case on the pleadings. Alabama Supreme Court affirmed.
- Defended major defense contractor in antitrust action alleging exclusive dealing and other antitrust claims related to a government procurement. Case voluntarily dismissed by plaintiff.
- Defended building products supplier in antitrust class action and opt out action alleging supplier conspired with competitors to fix prices and reduce supply.
- Defended drug testing service provider in putative class action alleging a wide range of business torts and antitrust violations under Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act and state law. Trial court dismissed case on the pleadings.
- Representing appellee energy company in appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit concerning whether class arbitration is permitted, among other issues.
- Representing appellant energy company in appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit concerning whether certain costs may be deducted from royalties.
- Represented two appellants in appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit concerning antitrust claims alleging foreclosure of chemical supply needed to produce certain drugs. DC Circuit reversed jury verdict against appellants and remanded case to district court.
- Represented appellant software manufacturer in appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit concerning a trade secret.
- Represented appellee energy company in appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit concerning a trade secret.
- Represented appellant manufacturer in appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit concerning application of exceptions to discharge in bankruptcy.
- Represented appellant global beverage company in appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit concerning preemption under the Clean Air Act.
- Drafted briefs to the US Supreme Court in cases involving antitrust, environmental, and constitutional issues, and counseled clients on Supreme Court practice.
- Represented multinational corporations in investigations by the US Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission, and State Attorneys General.
- Conducted internal investigations on antitrust, securities, and corporate management issues.
University of Virginia School of Law
- Editor-in-Chief, Virginia Law Review
- Order of the Coif; Raven Society
B.A., History and Religion/Philosophy, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized by Law360 in competition and Benchmark in litigation.