Ben Shorten is a partner in the Project Development and Finance practice. He is also the Asia Project Development & Finance Team Leader.
He focuses his practice on the development and finance of infrastructure projects with a particular focus on power & water and oil & gas projects, and regularly advises both sponsors and lenders in project financings.
His clients include major corporate clients and financial institutions including PETRONAS, ACWA Power, The Dow Chemical Company, PT Adaro, ENGIE, KEXIM, K-Sure, Standard Chartered Bank, HSBC and Crédit Agricole.
- Jefferies and Citigroup as joint global coordinators in connection with a Rule 144A/Reg. S international offering of fixed rate, senior secured bonds by ACWA Power Management and Investments One Limited
- PETRONAS in respect of the development and financing (including bridge and long-term financing) of its approximately $28 billion RAPID (Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development) project
- ICBC, Bank of China, China Construction Bank and China Agricultural Bank, together with 10+ international and regional lenders in connection with the $4 billion Hassyan coal-fired power plant in Dubai, UAE
- The sponsors in connection with the development and financing of the Nam Dinh 1 IPP in Vietnam
- The successful consortium of J-Power, Itochu Corporation and Adaro in relation to the development and financing of the $4.2 billion 2,000 MW Central Java IPP, a greenfield coal-fired IPP at Pemalang in Central Java, including a bankability review for the lenders on the PPA
- Marubeni, Sojitz and Pertamina as sponsors in relation to the development and financing of the Jawa 1 LNG to power project in Indonesia
- The Dow Chemical Company on the financing of its $20 billion joint venture with Saudi Aramco, Sadara Chemical, which will be the largest petrochemical project ever constructed in a single phase, and the largest project sukuk closed to date
- The lenders with respect to the development and financing of the 200 MW Saih al Dahal independent power generation plant in Dubai using solar photovoltaic (PV) technology
College of Law, London
Diploma in Law, Diploma in Legal Practice, CPE/LPC
Downing College - University of Cambridge
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" for Projects, Infrastructure and Energy in Singapore and Vietnam by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2017-2021)
- Awarded "Energy and Infrastructure Lawyer of the Year" by The Asian Lawyer's The Asia Legal Awards (2019)
- Recognized as "Highly Regarded" for Project Development, Project Finance and Energy and Infrastructure in Singapore by IFLR1000 (2015-2021)
- Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" for Projects in Singapore by Legal 500 (2019-2021)
- Commended by clients for his "technical understanding, knowledge of precedent and commercial acumen. He achieves solutions on projects and has shown aptitude in dealing with very challenging clients" in Chambers Global (2020)