Michael Shulman has been Tax Team Leader since 2008.
His practice focuses primarily on the taxation of financial instruments, real estate transactions, and the formation and operations of hedge funds, private equity funds and regulated investment companies. He also has wide-ranging experience in domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions and restructurings and has advised on numerous debt restructuring transactions.
New York University School of Law
University of Chicago
B.A. (with Honors)
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Chair of the Financial Transactions Committee of the American Bar Association
- Moderated a panel at the ABA Tax Section May Meeting in Washington, DC on May 12, 2017 entitled “Application of Section 1001 to Changes to Derivatives”
- Spoke at the Wall Street Tax Association’s Spring Tax Seminar in Washington, DC on May 11, 2017 on the topic of “Financial Products: Potential for Tax Reform, Section 871(m) and McKelvey.”
- Spoke at CBIT seminar on February 27, 2017 in New York regarding the “ Final QDD Regime and Revised Final 871(m) Regulations.”
- Spoke at PLI’s “Taxation of Financial Products and Transactions 2017” seminar on January 17, 2017 in New York regarding the “Tax Treatment of Guarantees.”
- Spoke at Financial Research Associates’ “Private Equity Tax and Account Forum” on December 5, 2016 in New York on the topic “Considerations for Various Fund and Investment Structures ”
- Co-authored (with Nathan Tasso) a two-part report, “Changes to Derivatives ‘Pursuant to Their Terms’” that was published by Tax Notes on May 1 and May 8, 2017