Benjamin Siino is counsel in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration and Public International Law practices. His experience includes international ad hoc arbitrations, including under UNCITRAL Rules, and institutional arbitrations under the Rules of the ICC and ICSID, with a strong focus on energy, investment and general commercial arbitrations, as well as arbitrations related to Africa.
Benjamin Siino also acts as counsel in litigation proceedings before French courts, with a focus on proceedings to seek the recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign judgments.
Before joining Shearman & Sterling, Benjamin practiced as an associate in the Dispute Resolution team of a French law firm, focusing on general commercial litigation and arbitration-related matters. He also worked as an Analyst consultant for the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and for the French Ministry of Defence.
Recent or pending arbitrations and litigations on which Benjamin Siino has worked include the representation of:
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria as Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Orascom TMT Investments S.à.r.l. (formerly known as Weather Investments II S.à r.l.) (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/35). The dispute related to alleged breaches of the Algeria-Belgium-Luxembourg bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of a mobile telephone company in Algeria. Over $5 billion was at stake.
- Sonatrach as Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Geneva initiated by Spanish company Repsol and its Asian partners in relation to the performance of a production-sharing agreement. Algerian law applied.
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria as Respondent in a UNCITRAL arbitration initiated by Global Telecom Holding SAE (formerly Orascom Telecom Holding. The dispute arose from alleged breaches of the Algeria-Egypt bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of a mobile telephone company in Algeria. Over $16 billion was at stake.
- A North African State-owned company as Respondent in an ICC arbitration brought by an Asia Pacific mining company. The dispute arose from a joint venture agreement for the development of a mine to exploit a zinc deposit. The law of the Respondent's State applied.
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Mærsk Olie, Algeriet A/S (ICSID Case No. ARB/09/14). The arbitration, which was brought under the Algeria-Demark bilateral investment treaty, was in relation to windfall profit tax in the context of a production-sharing contract. Over $3 billion was at stake.
- A European pharmaceutical company as Claimant in an ICC arbitration in Paris against three subsidiaries of a global health care company. The dispute arose from a Manufacturing Right Purchase and License Agreement. French law applied.
Recent or pending post-award proceedings on which Benjamin Siino has worked include:
- Representing the majority shareholders in the former Yukos Oil Company in proceedings initiated in multiple jurisdictions to seek the recognition and enforcement of the $50 billion awards rendered in the arbitrations brought by the shareholders against the Russian Federation concerning the expropriation of their investments in Yukos.
- Representing a Latin American State-owned entity in proceedings before French courts related to the attachment of its bank accounts by a creditor of the State.
- Advising Mr Viorel Micula in proceedings for the recognition in France of an award rendered in an investment arbitration.
- Advising the subsidiary of a Middle Eastern conglomerate in proceedings before the courts of Bangladesh to obtain the recognition and enforcement of an ICC award while challenging the anti-suit injunction issued by the same courts at the request of the opposing party.
Institut des Hautes Études Internationales (Panthéon-Assas)
Certificat de recherches approfondies (CRA)
Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas
D.E.A. in Public International Law (hons)
Maîtrise in Public International Law (hons)
- Member, Comité Français de l’Arbitrage (CFA)
- Board member, CFA-40
- Member, International Arbitration Institute (IAI)
- Member, LCIA European Users’ Council
- “L’immunité d’exécution dans la Loi Sapin II après l’arrêt Commisimpex du 10 janvier 2018” in The Paris Journal of International Arbitration 65 (Co-author) (2018)
- Research Assistant and Co-Team Leader, New York Convention Guide Project (www.newyorkconvention1958.org)
- “L’efficacité de la convention de New York de 1958 [The efficiency of the 1958 New York Convention],” in L’exécution des sentences arbitrales internationales 87 (M. de Fontmichel and J. Jourdan-Marques eds., LGDJ, 2017) (Author)
- “Le Guide du Secrétariat de la CNUDCI sur la Convention de New York pour la reconnaissance et l’exécution des sentences arbitrales étrangères [The UNCITRAL Secretariat Guide on the Convention for the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards],” in Conference for a Euro-Mediterranean Community of International Arbitration / Conférence pour une communauté euro-méditerranéenne de l’arbitrage international 21 (UNCITRAL Publication No. V. 15-06738, 2015) (Author)
- “La réparation par le juge d’appui de la clause prévoyant une parité d’arbitres : interprétation extensive de l’article 1454 du Code de procédure civile [Intervention of the judge acting in support of the arbitral process: broad interpretation of Article 1454 of the French Code of Civil Procedure],” 2009(3) Revue de l’arbitrage 521 (Co-author)
- “La consolidation de la place de l’estoppel dans le contrôle des sentences arbitrales [The increasing recognition of the estoppel principle in the review of arbitral awards],” 2008(2) Revue de l’arbitrage 325 (Co-author)
- “The New York Convention Guide and web platform,” Vilnius Arbitration Day 2018 - 60 years of the New York Convention: present and future challenges, Vilnius (19 October 2018)
- “Rinconoscimento e esecuzione dei lodi stranieri in Francia e in Italia alla luce della recente giurisprudenza in materia nei due paesi. Profili comparatistici [Recognition and enforcement of foreign awards in France and in Italy in light of recent case law in those two countries. Comparative profiles],” Parigi Italia Arbitrato, Roma (9 October 2018)
- “The Yukos saga. Have you ever tried to enforce a 50 billion arbitral award annulled by a court in multiple other jurisdictions?,” ICDR Young & International conference, Arbitration War Stories, What they don’t teach you at Law School, Geneva (26 September 2018)
- “The UNCITRAL Secretariat Guide on the New York Convention and the newyorkconvention1958.org website,” Special seminar during the 2018 session of the Arbitration Academy, Paris (July 2018)
- “Flexibility and Evolution in the Interpretation of the New York Convention,” Celebrating 50th UNCITRAL and 60th New York Convention Anniversaries – Joint UNCITRAL, Federal Ministry of Justice of Nigeria and International Dispute Resolution Institute conference, Abuja (14 June 2018)
- “Is document production really necessary/useful in arbitration,” Third Co-Chairs’ Circle Global Conference, Rome (18 May 2018)
- “Les systèmes disponibles pour obtenir des mesures provisoires et conservatoires durant l’arbitrage et les mécanismes pour les faire exécuter. Regards croisés entre la Fance et l’Espagne,” IX Journées Franco-Espagnoles – Regards croisés sur la relation entre les juges et l’arbitrage, Madrid (2 February 2018)
- “L’efficacité de la Convention de New York,” Colloque de l’Université de Versailles St. Quentin-en-Yvelines, L’exécution des sentences arbitrales internationales, Paris (26 September 2016)