Marija Šobat is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
Her experience includes international arbitrations conducted under ICSID, SCC, CRCICA and UNCITRAL Rules.
International arbitrations on which Marija Sobat has worked include the representation of:
- Ukraine, Respondent in an SCC arbitration in Stockholm brought by VEB.RF. The dispute relates to sanctions and other measures allegedly targeting Russian banks in Ukraine after 2014. The claims are brought under the 1998 Ukraine-Russian Federation bilateral investment treaty.
- Ukraine in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Emergofin B.V. and Velbay Holdings under the Ukraine-Netherlands bilateral investment treaty (ICSID Case No. ARB/16/35). The dispute relates to an aluminium and alumina production company.
- Rasia FZE and Joseph K. Borkowski, Claimants in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Republic of Armenia under the U.S.-Armenia bilateral investment treaty and two concession agreements concluded with the State (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/28). The dispute arose out of two concession agreements to develop, maintain and operate both a rail network and a high speed road network in Southern Armenia. Over $260 million was at stake.
- Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS) and Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC), Claimants in a CRCICA arbitration in Cairo with East Mediterranean Gas S.A.E. (EMG), arising out of a long term gas supply contract between EGAS, EGPC and EMG.
Geneva Law School and Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
LL.M. in International Dispute Settlement - MIDS (Hans Wilsdorf Scholar)
Sapienza Università di Roma
Second Level Master in International Commercial Law
University of Belgrade
- Member, Panel of Arbitrators, Permanent Arbitration at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Serbia
- Member, Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- Member, ICDR Young & International
- Member, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Co-founder, Harvard International Arbitration Law Students Association (HIALSA)
- “Cenni sulla legislazione serba in materia d’investimenti esteri [Notes on the Serbian foreign investment legislation],” 2013(3) Quaderni di Geopolitica 13 (co-author)
- “Frivolous Claims in International Adjudication: A Study of ICSID Rule 41(5) and of Procedures of Other Courts and Tribunals to Dismiss Claims Summarily,” Journal of International Dispute Settlement 137 (2012) (co-author)
- “Njujorška konvencija o priznanju i izvršenju arbitražnih odluka [The New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards],” 2009(4) Pravni Život 643
- “Izvršni postupak i povreda prava na pravično suđenje – evropski kontekst i novo srpsko zakonodavstvo [Enforcement and the Right to a Fair Trial – The European Context and New Serbian Legislation],” 2009(2) Anali Pravnog Fakulteta u Beogradu 354 (co-author)