Mark Steenson is a senior associate in the Antitrust practice.
Mark advises businesses on all aspects of European and UK antitrust law, including multi-jurisdictional merger control, market investigations, behavioural competition, State aid, litigation, and compliance.
His work includes advising on cartel investigations by the European Commission, advising and coordinating multi-jurisdictional merger processes vis-a-vis a number of competition authorities, advising in respect of UK market investigations, and advising on State aid notifications to the European Commission. Mark has also worked on litigation matters in both the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal and the European Courts.
- Financial institutions in ongoing European Commission cartel investigations in the financial sector
- LyondellBasell in respect of the global and EUMR clearances for its €2.5bn acquisition of A.Schulman Inc.
- Intercontinental Exchange (ICE) in a Phase 2 investigation by the UK’s CMA regarding its acquisition of London-based Trayport, a provider of software to operate trading networks for over-the-counter (OTC) energy markets.The case was the CMA’s first prohibition decision
- Jaguar Land Rover in respect of various State aid projects, including supporting investment in a new manufacturing facility
- Representing the western financial investors on the financing and gas transportation arrangements for Nord Stream II
- Credit Suisse in connection with a settlement with the European Commission in the CHF LIBOR cartel case
- Various holders of subordinated debt in challenging before the General Court the European Commission's decision to approve State aid to Banco Espirito Santo
- Government of Croatia on State aid and public procurement compliance associated with privatization of Croatian motorway network
- Viacom in respect of EUMR phase I clearance for its acquisition of Channel 5
- A major international bank before the European Commission in connection with the CHF LIBOR cartel investigations.
- BMI Healthcare with respect to the UK CMA Private Healthcare Market Investigation resulting in the first ever blocking minority in a CMA market investigation
- BMI Healthcare v. Competition Commission. Advising BMI Healthcare in its case against the CMA, the first successful judicial review quashing the CMA’s procedural approach during a live inquiry
- Tempur Sealy International in respect of structuring its EU distribution arrangements
- Lecta Group in respect of EUMR phase I clearance for its acquisition of Italian paper merchant Polyedra
King's College London, University of London
PgD, EU Competition Law (Merit)
BPP Law School
University College London
LL.B. in Law with Advanced Studies (2.1)
- England and Wales