Philip Stopford is a partner in the European Finance practice.
He has extensive banking and finance experience advising primarily on cross-border leveraged and acquisition financings, direct lending and complex restructuring transactions. He represents investment and commercial banks, private equity sponsors, corporate borrowers, and alternative lenders on super senior, senior and subordinated financing arrangements.
- BNP Paribas, HSBC Bank plc, KKR Capital Markets Limited and Unione di Banche Italiane S.p.A. as initial purchasers in connection with the issuance of €455 million senior secured floating rate notes due 2024 and €100 million super senior revolving credit facilities to fund Bain Capital's acquisition of Fedrigoni S.p.A., a leading European manufacturer and distributor of specialty paper.
- BNP Paribas in connection with Autodis S.A.’s €85 million bridge financing and the subsequent take-out financing.
- Albacore Capital in connection with various financings, including direct lending transactions.
- Barclays Bank and Jefferies Finance in relation to the £130 million public-to-private acquisition financing made available to TPG Capital in connection with its acquisition of Prezzo plc.
- Various direct lenders and debt funds on the first and second lien refinancing of Primacom AG.
- The lenders in connection with various refinancing transactions of Virgin Media's bank debt.
- Goldman Sachs and Jefferies Finance in relation to the £20 million super senior revolving credit facility provided to TSL Education Limited, a portfolio company of TPG Capital, in connection with its high yield note offering.
- Credit Suisse, JP Morgan, Citigroup, BNP Paribas, ABN AMRO and The Royal Bank of Scotland in relation to the €80 million super senior revolving credit facility provided to Hema, a portfolio company of Lion Capital, in connection with its high yield and PIK note offering.
- Barclays Bank and Credit Suisse in relation to the £20 million super senior revolving credit facility provided to Bibby Offshore in connection with its high yield note offering.
- Various distressed debt funds on the first and second lien debt restructuring of several asset based loans secured on four ships.
- Bridgepoint in connection with its acquisition financing of Element Materials Technology and Element Material Technology's £620.3 million bolt-on public-to-private acquisition of Exova plc.
- DBAY Advisors in connection with the financings of public-to-private acquisition implemented by way of scheme of arrangement of Creston plc and the Eddie Stobart Group.
- GlobalFoundries, an entity indirectly wholly owned by the Government of Abu Dhabi, in relation to several multi-source, syndicated and bilateral financings including facilities made available by Export-Import Bank of the United States, facilities insured by Atradius Dutch State Business and commercial bank facilities.
- The Frigoglass group in relation to the restructuring of its existing €250 million senior notes and over €80 million of existing bank debt across eight facilities agreements which was implemented by way of scheme of arrangement, a consensual bank restructuring and an equity rights issue.
- Eddie Stobart Group in relation to its £100 million post-IPO financing made available to it by Bank of Ireland, Allied Irish Bank, BNP Paribas and KBC Bank.
- Nokia in relation to the €1.7 billion facilities provided by JP Morgan in connection with its acquisition of Siemen’s 50% stake in their joint venture Nokia Siemens Networks.
- Ziggo in relation to the €4 billion credit facilities made available to it by a syndicate of banks led by Bank of America and Credit Suisse in connection with its acquisition by Liberty Global.
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice
Oxford Brookes University
Trinity College, University of Oxford
B.A. in Mathematics with honors
Awards & Accolades
- Shearman & Sterling was honoured for “Corporate Turnaround” at the 10th Annual Turnaround Atlas Awards and Restructuring Forum 2018, for its work on the Frigoglass restructuring.
- Shearman & Sterling was “Highly Commended” at the Legal Business Awards 2018 for Restructuring Team of the Year, for its work on the Frigoglass restructuring.