Paul is the Global Head of the Private Capital Industry Group and a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
Paul has over 20 years’ experience in cross-border M&A and private equity transactions, including public and private company acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, minority investments, strategic alliances, joint ventures and asset sales across a wide range of industries. He has advised buyers, special committees and financial advisors on over 30 “going private” transactions involving U.S.-listed companies. Paul also heads the Asia private equity practice and regularly advises private equity and sovereign wealth funds on Asian inbound and outbound investments.
- Citic Capital Holdings Limited on its investment in Formel D
- ZZ Capital on its investment in Building Energy 1 Holdings plc
- Golden Meditech Holdings Limited on the sale of its equity stake in China Cord Blood to Nanjing Ying Peng Hui Kang Medical Industry Investment Partnership
- Morgan Stanley as the financial advisor of Alibaba Group Holding Limited, China’s biggest online shopping company, in relation to its approximately $4.2 billion acquisition of Youku Tudou Inc.
- The special committee of the board of directors of iDreamSky Technology Limited in connection with its US$592 million going-private transaction
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its US$496 million investment in Postal Savings Bank of China
- The special committee of the board of directors of Mindray Medical International on its $3.3 billion going private transaction
- The special committee of the board of directors of AsiaInfo-Linkage on its $890 million leveraged buyout by a consortium of investors
- The special committee of the board of directors of Pactera Technology on its $680 million management buyout by The Blackstone Group
- Danone Asia on its sale of Dumex Baby Food to Yashili International Holdings and its related investment in Mengniu Dairy
- Qunar Cayman Islands Limited on the $500 million strategic investment in Qunar by Silver Lake
- Bain Capital on its investment in and sale of VXI Global Solutions
- Nidera B.V. on its sale of a majority stake to COFCO (Hong Kong) Limited, a subsidiary of China National Cereals, Oils and Foodstuffs Corporation
- Tiger Group Investments on its $5 billion shipping joint venture with The Carlyle Group
- J.P. Morgan as financial adviser to the board of directors of Siliconware Precision Industries on the hostile tender offer by Advanced Semiconductor Engineering
- Morgan Stanley as financial advisor to the board of directors of Spreadtrum Communications, Inc. on its $1.78 billion acquisition by Tsinghua Unigroup Ltd.
New York University School of Law
- New York
- Hong Kong
Awards & Accolades
- Named a “Leading Lawyer” for M&A and Private Equity by IFLR’s Guide to the World’s Leading Law Firms (2017)
- Recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” for Corporate/M&A and Private Equity by Chambers Asia (2017)
- Co-author, “Private mergers and acquisitions in the United States,” Thomson Reuters Practical Law (2018).