Paul is the Global Head of the Private Capital Industry Group and a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
Paul has over 20 years’ experience in cross-border M&A transactions, including public and private company acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, minority investments, strategic alliances, joint ventures and asset sales across a wide range of industries. Paul also has extensive experience advising private equity clients, pension funds, sovereign wealth funds and other financial investors on transactions globally. Paul previously worked in the Firm's New York, San Francisco and Hong Kong offices, where he was Head of Asia M&A.
- Goldman Sachs as financial advisor to The Saudi British Bank on its $5 billion merger with Alawwal Bank.
- InvestCorp on its strategic investment in China Everbright.
- EDP on the $11 billion tender offer by China Three Gorges for the outstanding shares of EDP.
- UST Global on its strategic investment by Temasek.
- The Olayan Group on its investments in National Energy Services Reunited Corp and NPS Holdings Limited.
- Citic Capital on its investment in Formel D.
- JP Morgan as financial advisor to iKang Healthcare Group on its $1.15 billion acquisition by Yunfeng Capital and Alibaba.
- Morgan Stanley as financial advisor to Alibaba on its $4.2 billion acquisition of Youku Tudou Inc.
- CPPIB on various investments, including in Postal Savings Bank of China.
- The special committees of the boards of directors of Mindray Medical, AsiaInfo-Linkage, Pactera Technology and iDreamsky on their respective leveraged buyout transactions.
- Nidera B.V. on its $1.2 billion sale of a majority stake to COFCO.
- Bain Capital on various investments, including in VXI Global Solutions and its sale to Carlyle.
- Tiger Group Investments on its $5 billion shipping joint venture with The Carlyle Group.
New York University School of Law
- New York
- Hong Kong
- Lawyers Without Borders – Member of the Board of Directors
- Oxford University (Masters in Law and Finance Faculty) – Advisory Board Member
Awards & Accolades
- Noted by a client in Chambers and Partners Global 2020 – Private Equity (International Firms): China as “One of the most amazing lawyers I know, technically proficient and good with our clients and counterparties. He's able to manage difficult personalities with ease.”
- Named a “Highly Regarded” lawyer for M&A and Private Equity by IFLR’s Guide to the World’s Leading Law Firms, 2020.
- Ranked lawyer for Private Equity (International Firms) – China in Chambers and Partners Global 2020.
- Recognised as a “Notable Practitioner” for Corporate/M&A and Private Equity by Chambers Asia 2017.
- Co-author, “Private mergers and acquisitions in the United States,” Thomson Reuters Practical Law (2018).