Pawel Szaja is partner in the Capital Markets practice and is based in the London office.
He advises issuers and underwriters on equity and debt capital markets and liability management transactions as well as securities law and corporate governance and M&A matters. Pawel has extensive experience advising on a wide range of cross-border securities offerings, including IPOs, privatizations, follow-on offerings, rights issues and other equity and debt capital markets and M&A transactions.
In 2014, Pawel spent seven months on secondment with the ECM execution group at a major investment bank in London.
- Equity Capital Markets: initial public offerings, rights issues, equity placements, spin-offs, ADR/GDR structures and convertible bonds (SEC-registered and Rule 144A/Regulation S), including offerings by ABN AMRO, Endesa, Yandex, TDC, NXP Semiconductors, Emaar Misr, Cleopatra Hospital Company, Citadele banka (proposed IPO), AIB Bank plc, Waberer's, Ladbrokes, Laird, New Look, OSRAM, Premier Foods, Alpha Bank, Autoneum AG, Hugo Boss, Western Refining, Banco Comercial Português, Ardmore Shipping, Banco Popular Español, Basic-Fit, Hispania Activos Inmobiliarios SOCIMI, Grivalia Properties, Marine Harvest, Irish Residential Properties REIT, McMoRan Exploration, Merlin Properties SOCIMI SA, Numericable, Logista, Espirito Santo Saude, Coface, Banca Carige, Banca Popolare dell'Emilia Romagna, Credito Valtelinese, Fidelity National Financial.
- Debt Capital Markets: investment grade and high yield bonds (SEC-registered and Rule 144A/Regulation S), project bonds, bank regulatory capital, commercial papers, including offerings by SABMiller, The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, ENGIE, ArcelorMittal, Credit Suisse, Schaeffler, Mylan, Yandex, NXP Semiconductors, ING Bank NV, StatoilHydro, Deutsche Industriebank, Polkomtel, , Eurohypo, Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation, Boston Gas Company, Keyspan Gas East Corporation, Kerry Group, Range Resources, General Dynamics Corporation, General Mills; project bonds: ACWA Power, Abu Dhabi Crude Oil Pipeline and Emirates Sembcorp Water & Power Company; regulatory capital: The Royal Bank of Scotland Group and ING Bank NV; high yield bonds: Odigeo, Digicel, Polkomtel and Western Refining.
- Public and private M&A, including in respect of the merger of Videocon d2h and Dish TV (Asia Pacific's largest direct-to-home TV company); the acquisition by a US listed company Wright Medical Group N.V. of IMASCAP, a French company; a planned public-to-private transaction for a company in Central and Eastern Europe; the sale by EFG of a stake in Credit Libanais; the consortium of investment funds in connection with the acquisition of Eversholt Rail Group in the UK.
Columbia University School of Law
Goethe-University of Frankfurt/Main
- New York
- England and Wales
- Ireland (inactive)
Award & Accolades
- Shearman & Sterling was awarded “MENA Bond Deal of the Year” by PFI Awards 2017 and “Structured Finance Deal of the Year” by Bonds, Loans & Sukuk Middle East Awards 2017 for its work advising the initial purchasers on the US$814 million bond offering by ACWA Power Management and Investments One Limited.
- Author of “Initial Public Offerings 2017: United Kingdom” published by Global Legal Insights, July 2017.
- Author of “The JOBS Act and IPOs: the view from Europe” published by PLC Magazine, UK edition, September 2015.