Ellerina Teo is a senior associate in the Financial Institutions Advisory & Financial Regulatory practice.
She focuses on regulatory compliance, including advising on bank regulation, financial regulatory reforms, day-to-day regulatory/compliance issues, and EU legislation such as EMIR and MiFID II. Ellie advises a range of clients including FinTech clients, clearing houses, exchanges, settlement systems, banks, investment firms, funds and other financial industry participants.
Advising financial institutions, infrastructure providers and corporates on business structure, ongoing compliance and other advisory issues
- A FinTech savings platform at proof of concept stage on structuring products in light of the U.K. and EU's regulatory perimeter.
- A savings app on Brexit-related issues.
- A cryptocurrency bank in relation to launching activities in the U.K.
- A large client intending to establish a cryptocurrency payments and derivatives trading platform.
- A global bank on the application of U.K. and EU law in respect of Brexit.
- ICE group on the impact of European legislation, including MiFID II, Benchmark Regulation, EMIR, launch of new products, and clearing and exchange transitions.
- Piraeus Bank S.A. on its €8.4 billion recapitalization, including advising on the application of the Bank Recovery and Resolution Directive.
- Eurobank Ergasias S.A. on its €2.04 billion recapitalization, including advising on the application of the Bank Recovery and Resolution Directive.
- Lower Tier 2 bondholders on their acquisition of 70% of the shares in The Co-operative Bank in connection with the bank's £1.5 billion recapitalization plan, the first ever creditor bail-in of a U.K. bank.
- Clearing houses and exchanges on the transition of clearing of commodity products and derivatives, including amendments to clearing house and exchange rules.
- The full range of financial institutions on regulatory advisory work, including authorization, conduct of business, senior managers, corporate governance, regulatory capital and capital structuring and regulatory perimeter issues.
The College of Law
Legal Practice Course (Distinction)
Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction)
Keble College, University of Oxford
B.A. in Philosophy and Theology (First Class)
- Solicitor, England and Wales
Ellie has experience in FinTech and has recently advised a large client intending to establish a cryptocurrency payments and derivatives trading platform, together with various FinTech start-ups, including savings platforms, savings providers, account information service providers and e-money providers.