Georg Thoma is Of Counsel in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
He focuses on corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring and privatization. He has extensive expertise in domestic, international and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and restructurings, advising clients on their most complex transactions and many “first-in-kind” projects in the German market. Due to his work as a supervisory board member he is one of the one of the most experienced advisors in the area of corporate governance. He advises corporate clients, management, boards of directors and supervisory boards on a broad range of governance and compliance matters.
He published articles on legal topics in various publications. In 2005, he received his Dr.h.c. in economics from the European Business School in Oestrich-Winkel.
- Allianz, among others, on the sale of its majority stake in Oldenburgische Landesbank, in the acquisitions and integration of AGF, in its conversion into an SE and the merger of RAS into Allianz, in its take-over of Dredner Bank as well as in the sale of Dresdner Bank to Commerzbank
- BASF in its conversion into an SE
- Bundesanstalt für vereinigungsbedingte Sonderaufgaben (former Treuhandanstalt) in the privatization of the eastern German chemicals industry (Leuna/Minol, Buna, Bitterfeld, Piesteritz), in the privatization of the energy industry (VEAG, regional providers) as well as in the privatization of the brown coal mining industry (Laubag, Mibrag)
- Daimler-Benz in its merger with Chrysler Corp.
- DaimlerChrysler on the sale of 80.1% shares in Chrysler Corp. to Cerberus
- Fresenius in its conversion into an SE
- IPIC, amongst others, in the acquisition of 70% in Ferrostaal, in connection with the compliance investigation on Ferrostaal and in connection with a settlement to unwind the Ferrostaal acquisition as well as on its participation in NOVA Chemicals
- IPIC and Aabar Investments in their investment in Daimler
- Hypo Real Estate and IKB Deutsche Industriebank in reaction to their distressed situations resulting from the financial crisis 2007-2009
- Krupp in connection with the attempted hostile takeover by Thyssen which resulted in the friendly merger into ThyssenKrupp
- Sal. Oppenheim and its shareholders in connection with the sale of Sal. Oppenheim to Deutsche Bank
- VEBA on the merger with VIAG to E.ON
University of Freiburg
Awards & Accolades
- Georg Thoma is frequently ranked as Senior Statesmen for Germany, Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability in Chambers and Partners.
- “Of Counsel Georg Thoma has enjoyed a very prominent position in the German corporate market and maintains his excellent reputation for advice to German financial institutions.” Chambers and Partners 2017
- Georg is named as a star individual for Corporate/M&A in Germany in Chambers Europe 2012 and is Lifetime Achievement Award winner of Chambers Europe 2010.
- He is recognized as a Leading Lawyer by IFLR 1000 2016 - 2019, as recommended lawyer in the most recent editions of JUVE, as Leading Figure in The Legal 500 Germany and ranked among "Germany's Best Lawyers 2019" by Handelsblatt
- Clients say “Especially for the corporate/M&A practice, Thoma is an ongoing bringer of contacts of high value” ; “The firm benefits from his excellent and diverse contacts” and “Excellent contacts and reputation of Thoma to German bluechips.” JUVE Germany 2015/2016 as well as “Thoma boasts close connections to notable corporates.” JUVE Germany 2014/2015