Chloé Vialard is an associate in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration practice. Her experience includes international commercial and construction arbitrations conducted under the Rules of the ICC, with a focus on African matters, as well as enforcement and annulment proceedings before French courts.
Prior to joining our team as an associate in January 2014, Chloé Vialard interned in our Singapore and Paris offices and in the international arbitration departments of various international law firms and companies in Paris, Brussels and Geneva.
International arbitrations on which Chloé Vialard has worked include the representation of:
- Sonatrach as Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Geneva brought by Saipem SpA and Saipem Contracting Algérie SpA. The dispute arose from a contract for the construction of gas liquefaction facilities. Over EUR 2.6 billion was at stake. Algerian law applied.
- A North African company as Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Geneva initiated by an Iberian contractor. The dispute related to a major infrastructure project in North Africa. The law of the Respondent’s State applied.
- The African subsidiary of a European energy company in an ICC arbitration in Paris against an African State. The dispute related to local tax claims.
- A European construction company in proceedings before French courts to set aside a partial award rendered by an ICC Arbitral Tribunal on the grounds of lack of independence and impartiality on the part of the Chairman of the Arbitral Tribunal.
University of Leicester
LL.B. (Hons), Double degree in English Law and French Law
University of Strasbourg
Masters in Business Law, Double degree in English Law and French Law
University of Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines
Masters in Arbitration and International Commercial Law
- Steering Committee, Paris Very Young Arbitration Practitioners (PVYAP)
- Steering Committee, Young Arbitrators’ Match (YAM)
- Member, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- Member, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Member, Young Singapore international Arbitration Center (YSIAC)
- Member, HK45
- Member, Association Droit et Procédure
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Research Assistant, New York Convention Guide Project (www.newyorkconvention1958.org)
- Lecturer (Arbitration), Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, Magistère de Juriste d’Affaires – DJCE
- The Arbitration Paradox: moralizing parties’ power to choose arbitrators, Versailles International Arbitration & Business Law Review No. 2, at 19 (2011)