Pierre Viguier is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
He has advised companies and State-owned entities in international ad hoc arbitrations, including UNCITRAL Rules, and institutional arbitrations under the Rules of the ICC and ICSID, particularly in investment and general commercial disputes.
International arbitrations on which Pierre Viguier has worked include the representation of:
- Lagardère Sports, Claimant in an ICC arbitration in Geneva against the Confederation of African Football (CAF). The dispute arises from the termination by CAF of a $1 billion exclusive television and marketing rights agreement. Swiss law applies.
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Orascom TMT Investments S.à.r.l. (formerly known as Weather Investments II S.à r.l.) (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/35). The dispute related to alleged breaches of the Algeria-Belgium-Luxembourg bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of a mobile telephone company in Algeria. Over $5 billion was at stake.
- Five North African shareholders, Respondents in an ICC arbitration in Paris initiated by Middle Eastern investors. The dispute arises from a shareholder agreement. The law of the Respondents’ State applies.
- The majority shareholders of the former Yukos Oil Company in enforcement proceedings initiated before French courts in relation to the $50 billion Award secured by our clients in a UNCITRAL arbitration against the Russian Federation.
- A North American agribusiness company, Respondent in an ICC arbitration initiated by European agribusiness companies. The dispute related to the parties’ rights of use with respect to proprietary biotechnology. French law applied.
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, Respondent in a UNCITRAL arbitration initiated by Global Telecom Holding SAE (formerly known as Orascom Telecom Holding). The dispute related to alleged breaches of the Algeria-Egypt bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of a mobile telephone company in Algeria. Over $16 billion was at stake.
Universite Paris-Est Créteil (Paris XII)
Diplôme d'Université, Sports law
Geneva Law School and Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
Master in International Dispute Settlement (MIDS)
Université Paris Sud (Paris XI)
Master 2, Contract law
Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas
Master, Private law
- Member, Comité Français de l’Arbitrage (CFA)
- Member, Association Suisse de Droit du Sport (ASDS)
- Member, Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage Below 40 (ASAb40)
- Member, Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (Young ICCA)