Matthias Weissinger is a partner in the Finance practice.
Matthias focuses on domestic and cross-border financings and restructurings. He advises national and international financial institutions, debt funds, sponsors and corporate borrowers on debt restructurings, out-of-court and in-court solutions, distressed M&A transactions, leveraged buyouts, unitranche financings, bank/bond financings, project financings, real estate financings and corporate lending for large- and mid-cap companies.
Matthias is recognized in the most recent editions of IFLR1000, Legal 500 Germany and in the "up and coming" category by both Chambers Global and Chambers Europe where he is recommended for acquisition finance and syndicated lending in Germany. He regularly publishes and lectures on insolvency and restructuring law issues as well as on acquisition financings.
Restructuring / Insolvency Law
- Security trustee on the financial restructuring of Senvion and in insolvency proceedings
- Etihad in the contemplated restructuring of Air Berlin and the subsequent insolvency proceedings over the various companies of the Air Berlin group
- Subordinated bondholders in connection with the restructuring of HSH Nordbank
- Club of hedge funds in the loan trade regarding a distressed German ship financing and its subsequent financial restructuring
- A sponsor in connection with a comprehensive debt restructuring (involving a debt push-up to Luxembourg) in preparation for a distressed sale of the business to a foreign investor
- Distressed debt investor in connection with the contemplated acquisition of a non-performing real estate loan relating to a German landmark property
- Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited as purchaser of Praktiker Hellas AE, the most important foreign subsidiary of the insolvent Praktiker group, from the German insolvency administrator
- Junior Lenders in the restructuring of 30 St Mary Axe, London (The Gherkin)
- IKB Deutsche Industriebank, NordLB on the restructuring of the syndicated financing of Viva Coffee and its usufruct rent to Strauss Coffee B.V., a portfolio company of TPG
- Deutsche Bank Luxemburg as agent and security trustee in connection with the reorganisation of Schefenacker
- UniCredit on the financing of the acquisition of GfS - Gesellschaft für Sicherheitstechnik mbH by Maxburg Capital Partners
- CVC Credit Partners and Oldenburgische Landesbank on the unitranche financing of the acquisition of pro optik by Paragon Partners
- Paragon Partners on the financing of the acquisition of a majority stake in DUO PLAST AG
- Oldenburgische Landesbank and NKBM on the financing of the acquisition of Koop Group in connection with a management buyout by funds advised by Steadfast Capital
- SEB and Hamburg Commercial Bank as super senior lenders in connection with the €331 million unitranche financing for IK-backed Alanta Health Group
- NATIONAL-BANK and Oldenburgische Landesbank on the financing of the acquisition of the BUK Group by Steadfast Capital
- HANNOVER Finanz GmbH on the financing of the acquisition of a majority shareholding in LACON Electronic GmbH
- Deutsche Apotheker- und Ärztebank eG and Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB on the financing of the acquisition of Rehacon Group by Waterland Private Equity
- HF Private Debt and Deutsche Bank as lenders on the financing of the acquisition of four European engineering companies of the Danish NNE A/S by TTP AG and its subsidiary TTP GmbH as well as on the financing of the cash compensation for a squeeze-out merger, where TRIPLAN AG, as transferring company, was merged with TTP AG, as surviving company
- HF Private Debt on the financing of the acquisition of Marcus Transport GmbH by AURELIUS Growth Investments and the financing of the acquisition of KAMA GmbH by funds advised by Premium Equity Partners
- Lenders on the financing of the acquisition of UDG United Digital Group by PIA Performance Interactive Alliance, a portfolio company of Equistone Partners Europe
- Bayerische Landesbank and DZ Bank on the financing of the acquisition of Ledlenser GmbH & Co KG
- Barings, ABN AMRO and HSBC on the refinancing and recapitalization of Ipsen, a portfolio company of Quadriga Capital
- Commerzbank, Bremer Kreditbank and ODDO BHF on the financing of the acquisition of a majority interest in inprotec AG by funds advised by Paragon Partners
- Allgaier-Group on a fundamental reorganization of the group’s financing
- Globalfoundries on a project financing for the facilities in Dresden
- Pinova Capital on the financing of the acquisition of Sauter Federn GmbH
- ABN AMRO on the financing of the acquisition of HALEX Holding GmbH by Bencis Capital Partners
- Commerzbank on the refinancing of Huber Packaging Group
- UniCredit and RBI on the financing of the acquisition of Bien-Zenker and Hanse Haus by Equistone
- Super senior lender on the financing of the acquisition of Studienkreis by IK Investment
- Crescent Capital on the unitranche refinancing of the 3B Scientific Group
- LBBW on the financing of the acquisition of Erdo by DPE
- Bayerische Landesbank on the financing of the acquisition of Cloetta Italia by Katjes group
- Silverfleet Capital on the financing of the acquisition of 7days, Pumpenfabrik Wangen GmbH and Competence Call Center as well as in connection with the recapitalization of Kalle Group and creatrade Group
- EMERAM on the financing of the acquisition of frostkrone Group
- Borrowers on the financing of the acquisition of ARWE Group by Luxempart S.A. and BIP Investment Partners S.A.
- Consortium of banks on the refinancing of WITTE Automotive GmbH
- Debt funds on the unitranche financing of the acquisition of Kimble Chase Life Science by Duran Group, a portfolio company of One Equity Partners
- Equistone on the financing of the acquisitions of SportGroup, TriStyle Group, AstroTurf and Long Tall Sally
- Landesbank Baden-Württemberg, ING Bank, BNP Paribas and Deutsche Bank as arrangers in connection with the financing of the acquisition of the global filtration business of US Affinia Group by MANN+HUMMEL Group
- L-GAM Advisers LLP on the financing of the acquisition of FAIST ChemTec-Group
- Lenders on PrimaCom's €365 million senior and second lien refinancing
- LBBW and NORD/LB on the financing of the acquisition of Rameder group by Findos
- Avenue Capital on the unitranche financing of the acquisition of DURAN group by One Equity Partners and in the unitranche financing of the acquisition of Rademacher
- Elster Group SE on the €840 million refinancing by a syndicated senior loan facility and a high yield bond
- Ardagh Packaging Finance plc on the issuance of a €1.2 billion and $800 million HY bond and €100 million revolving credit facility and on several subsequent high yield bond offerings
University of Bayreuth
University of Pennsylvania
University of Munich
- German-American Lawyers Association (DAJV)
- European Law Institute
- INSOL International
- Turnaround Management Association
Awards & Accolades
- Matthias is recognized in the most recent editions of IFLR1000, Legal 500 Germany (for finance and restructuring) and in the "up and coming" category by both Chambers Global and Chambers Europe where he is recommended for acquisition finance and syndicated lending in Germany.
- The 2019 edition of Chambers Global cites sources who comment that "he stands out with his pragmatic approach and quick responses to requests. It is a very pleasant co-operation."
- According to the 2018 edition of Chambers Global he is "highly valued by clients, who highlight his quick, responsive service and focus on the main issues in deals" and is "often seen advising financial institutions, debt funds, sponsors and corporate borrowers". The 2018 edition of Legal 500 Germany describes him as "extremely solution-focused".
- In the 2017 editions of Chambers he is considered by market observers to be "technically very strong and good to deal with" and praised for being "responsive and solution-focused".
- According to the 2016 editions of Chambers he is "praised by clients for his detailed and client-focused approach" and described as "incredibly precise, fast and approachable".