Alex Wood is Of Counsel in our Financial Restructuring & Insolvency practice based in London after retiring as a partner with over 25 years’ experience. He continues to consult with Shearman & Sterling as well as pursuing other interests, including academic.
Alex is experienced in all aspects of business restructuring and insolvency and focuses on complex insolvency work and financial services (including insurance) insolvency and restructuring. He has expertise in the design and implementation of complex schemes of arrangement, cross-border restructurings and formal insolvency procedures.
Alex is recognised across a number of leading legal directories. He is ranked as a ‘Leading Individual’ in Legal 500 UK 2023 with clients describing him as “a go-to sounding board for complicated restructuring and implementation issues, who readily translates academic issues into practical solutions.” Clients go on to say that Alex “excels at taking complex scenarios and finding workable solutions on complex multi-party, multi-jurisdictional transactions.” Alex is also ranked as Highly Regarded in IFLR1000 UK and is listed in Best Lawyers 2023 and Expert Guides 2023.
- Advised Mubadala in relation to the comprehensive financial restructuring of, and its further investment in, a strategically-important asset in Abu Dhabi.
- Valaris plc Chapter 11 Cases: Representing Citibank, N.A., in its capacity as administrative agent and lender under a revolving credit agreement in connection with the chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of Valaris plc and certain of its subsidiaries.
- Ambac UK in connection with the restructuring of Ballantyne Re plc through the first major Irish creditor scheme of arrangement. Finalist for IFLR Restructuring Transaction of the Year 2020.*
- Certain bondholders in connection with Argentine sovereign debt.*
- Provisional and official liquidators of Abraaj, one of the largest fund collapses in recent history.*
- Various sponsors in connection with portfolio company restructurings.
- Various credit or hedge funds in connection with distressed borrower restructurings.
- Westinghouse Electric Company in connection with global, European and financing issues concerning its Chapter 11, one of the largest Chapter 11 cases of this cycle. Finalist (Runner Up) for Legal Business Restructuring Transaction of the Year 2019, FT Innovative Awards 2019 and Finalist for British Legal Restructuring Team of the Year 2018.*
- Various debtors in connection with scheme of arrangement related issues, including Doncasters and syncreon.*
- Claire’s Accessories in connection with its Chapter 11.*
- The ad hoc committee of senior secured noteholders in connection with the restructuring of Edcon Limited, implemented by way of South African compromise (local equivalent to a scheme of arrangement). Finalist for Legal Business Restructuring Transaction of the Year 2017.*
- Franklin Templeton and other bondholders in connection with Ukraine’s sovereign debt, City of Kiev’s debt and the issue of ground-breaking GDP linked securities. Legal Business Restructuring Transaction of the Year 2016, Financial News Restructuring Team of the Year 2016 and Restructuring Team of the Year (Runner Up) Lawyer Awards 2016.*
- Advent in connection with the restructuring of Towergate, one of the largest high-yield restructures of 2015.*
- Lehman Brothers in connection with its restructuring including the ground-breaking sale of its sub-debt claim against LBIE to a JV with distressed debt investors. Legal Business Restructuring Team of the Year 2018.*
- Davidson Kempner in connection with their acquisition of AIB debt owed by the Arora Hotel group and the subsequent restructuring of that debt.*
- KPMG as Special Administrators of MF Global. Legal Business Restructuring Transaction of the Year 2014 and Lawyer Awards Restructuring Team of the Year 2014.*
- KPMG as judicial managers of BAICO Barbados.*
- The lenders and PwC in connection with the restructuring of CPPGroup plc.*
- The lenders in connection with the potential restructuring of, and KPMG as administrators in relation to the administration of the retail chain, the Peacocks Group, and on the pre-packaged administration and sale of Bon Marche.*
- The lenders and Deloitte in connection with the restructuring of facilities provided to care homes provider, Southern Cross.*
- PwC as administrators in connection with the pre-packaged administration sale of the EMI Group.*
- The FSA in connection with matters leading up to and including the Lehman Brothers administration orders.*
- Phoenix & London Assurance Limited and its advisers in connection with the innovative use of a scheme of arrangement to provide investment flexibility for holders of its GAR policies. This was the first solvent life assurance restructuring scheme and formed the basis for a number of subsequent life assurance restructures.*
- Equitable Life in connection with its ground breaking restructure through a UK scheme of arrangement to compromise its guaranteed annuity policies, one of the largest and highest profile restructures of recent times. Finalist Legal Business Awards 2002.*
*Denotes prior firm experience
College of Law, Guildford
University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
- England and Wales
- Ireland - On the Roll
Awards & Accolades
- Alex is recognised as a 'Leading Individual' in this year's Legal 500 2023 for Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency.
- ‘Alex Wood is a go-to sounding board for complicated restructuring and implementation issues, who readily translates academic issues into practical solutions.’ - Legal 500 UK, Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency 2023
- ‘The articulate Alex Wood excels at taking complex scenarios and finding workable solutions on complex multi-party, multi-jurisdictional transactions’. - Legal 500 UK, Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency 2023
- Alex Wood is ranked as Highly Regarded in IFLR 1000 2022. Alex is also a key member of the Shearman & Sterling team which is ranked Tier 4 for Restructuring & Insolvency in IFLR 1000 2022.
- Ranked in Legal 500 UK and previously as a leader in his field in Chambers UK; described as a “good negotiator who reads situations well.”
- Previously ranked in Tier 2 for Insurance Restructuring in Chambers UK.
- Ranked in Who’s Who of Lawyers and designated as a Thought Leader in field.
- Ranked in Best Lawyers Expert Guides.
- Written numerous publications and given many presentations, including having contributed to the leading publication The EC Regulation on Insolvency Proceedings edited by Moss, Fletcher and Isaacs, OUP.