Alain Dermarkar is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
His practice focuses on national and international mergers and acquisitions, takeover preparedness, and special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs). Alain’s clients come from various industries including energy, technology, real estate, manufacturing, consumer products, health care, and construction.
Alain has completed more than $150 billion of transactions for public and private U.S., European, and Asian companies and private equity firms.
Alain also counsels clients on capital raising transactions and corporate governance.
- 3E, a portfolio company of New Mountain Capital, L.L.C., in its acquisition of Toxnot
- Aegion Corporation in its sale of Aegion Energy Services, LLC to Brock Holdings III, LLC, a portfolio company of American Industrial Partners
- Mother Lode Holding Co. in its acquisition by First American Financial Corporation
- J.F. Lehman & Company in connection with the sale of Lone Star Disposal to Waste Connections US Holdings Inc.
- Community Counseling Service Co. (CCS Fundraising), the world’s leading fundraising consulting firm for non-profits, with respect to a strategic investment by ABRY Partners
- Great Elm Group, Inc. in its sale of a majority interest of Forest Investments, Inc. to affiliates of JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Great Elm Group, Inc. in its $80 million sale of a majority equity interest in its durable medical equipment business, Great Elm Healthcare, LLC to QHM Holdings Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Quipt Home Medical Corp., a U.S. based leader in the home medical equipment industry
- Great Elm Capital Management, Inc., a subsidiary of GEG in its acquisition of the investment management agreement for Monomoy Properties REIT, LLC and certain other related assets from Imperial Capital Asset Management, LLC.
- SEP VI Futura Holdings, an investment affiliate of Seidler Equity Partners, in its acquisition a majority stake in Futura Title & Escrow, LLC
- Granite Construction Incorporated in its sale of Inliner to Inland Pipe Rehabilitation
- Road Ventures in its Series B investment in Alto Experience, Inc.
- Profile Products LLC in its acquisition of The Quick Plug Group from Dummen Orange
- Alturus Capital in connection with the acquisition of Physicians Rehab Solution, LLC
- eGroup Holding Company, LLC (eGroup) in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Enabling Technologies Corp. of Florida
- LatAmGrowth SPAC on its initial public offering of 13 million units at an offering price of $10.00 per unit
- ESM Acquisition Corporation, on its initial public offering
- Investcorp Europe Acquisition Corp I, a special-purpose acquisition company, on its initial public offering of 34.5 million units
- Build Acquisition Corp., on its initial public offering
- I-Bankers in connection with several SPAC IPOs
- Granite Construction Incorporated in connection with its divestiture, through its subsidiaries, of its Inliner business to Inland Pipe Rehabilitation LLC, an investment affiliate of J.F. Lehman & Company
- J.F. Lehman & Company acquisition of the assets of the Narda-MITEQ division and the stock of Narda Safety Test Solutions, GmbH (Narda-MITEQ) from L3Harris Technologies, Inc.
- Evolute Capital’s investment in eGroup Holding Company
- Hitachi, Ltd. in its acquisition of GlobalLogic Inc. for an enterprise value of $9.5 billion
- Ardagh Group in its $8.5 billion transaction with Gores Holdings V, a Nasdaq-listed SPAC, involving its metal packaging business
- Microvast, Inc.’s $3.0 billion combination with Nasdaq-listed SPAC Tuscan Holdings Corporation; and a $57.5 million bridge financing notes offering with affiliates of Luxor Capital Partners
- NRC Group's $750 M transaction with Hennessy Capital Acquisition Corp. III, a Nasdaq SPAC, and subsequent $966 M acquisition by US Ecology
- MDH Acquisition Corp. in connection with its pending $960 million de-SPAC transaction with Paylink Direct and Olive.com
- Citrix in its $2.25 billion acquisition of Wrike
- J.F. Lehman in multiple transactions, including acquisitions of Inland Pipe Rehabilitation, BEI Systems, Integrated Global Services, Global Marine, Waste Control Specialists, Northstar Group Services, Murphy Pipeline Contractors, Wenzel Associates, Lone Star Disposal, NRC Group and OP-Tech Environmental
- Great Elm Group and Great Elm Capital Group in multiple transactions, including a holding company reorganization and financing transaction with JPMorgan
- Reynolds American in its $49 billion acquisition by British American Tobacco
- Newell Rubbermaid in its $16 billion acquisition of Jarden Corporation
- Tokyo Electron in multiple transactions, including its attempted $29 billion merger-of-equals with Applied Materials
- Reynolds American in its $5 billion sale to JT Group of the international rights to the Natural American Spirit brand name
- Reynolds American in its $27.4 billion acquisition of Lorillard and related $7.1 billion divestiture to Imperial Tobacco
- Granite Construction in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of Layne Christensen for $536 million
- Oncor Electric Delivery Company in connection with Sempra Energy’s $18.8 billion total enterprise value acquisition of Energy Future Holdings Corp., Oncor’s majority owner
- Strike Capital in its proposed sale to a SPAC
- Bridgestone Americas in its proposed $947 million acquisition of Pep Boys
- Connell Limited Partnership in multiple transactions, including its sale of Anchor Danly and AWC Manufacturing to Hidden Harbor Capital Partners
- Greystar Real Estate in its $2 billion sale of multifamily apartments to Blackstone
- Cardinal Health in its $1.115 billion acquisition of Harvard Drug Group
- Teradyne, Inc. in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of Energid
- Viasystems in its $927 million acquisition by TTM
- Ajinomoto in its $800 million acquisition of Windsor Quality Foods
- Randstad in its $429 million acquisition of Monster Worldwide
- Mill Creek Residential Trust LLC and its management team in its acquisition by the Arizona State Retirement System
- Capital Southwest in its tax-free spin-off of CSW Industries
- Kalera AS in its acquisition of Vindara
- Century Aluminum’s acquisition of substantially all of the assets of the Sebree aluminum from Rio Tinto Alcan, Inc.
J.D., cum laude
- Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
B.S.B.A., magna cum laude
Awards & Accolades
- Named “Most Effective Dealmakers” by Texas Lawyer (2022)
- Named a “Client Service All-Star” by The BTI Consulting Group (2022, 2021, 2020)
- Recognized as a leading lawyer for Corporate/M&A in Texas by Chambers USA (2022, 2021)
- Recognized as an “Up and Coming” lawyer in Corporate/M&A – Texas by Chambers USA (2020)
- Named a "Rising Star" by Texas Super Lawyers (2018, 2017, 2016, and 2015)
- Recipient of "Emerging Leaders Award" by M&A Advisor (2016)
- D Magazine, "Best Lawyers in Dallas" (2018, 2016)