Bill McCormack is Of Counsel in the Project Development & Finance practice.
Based in Asia for over 20 years, Bill has advised on the development and financing of many significant energy and infrastructure projects in South and Southeast Asia, as well as acquisitions and disposals in the power and oil and gas sectors.
He advises a mix of sponsors and lenders including IFC, ADB, K-Sure, Marubeni, ENGIE and PETRONAS.
Bill has advised on some of the most complex “first-of-kind” projects in Asia and has a particular focus on renewables projects, including hydro, wind and solar.
- PETRONAS in respect of the development and financing (including bridge and long-term financing) of its approximately $28 billion RAPID (Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development) project in Malaysia
- The sponsors Metro Pacific Investments Corp, Ayala Corp and Macquarie Infrastructure Holdings in relation to the development and financing of the $1.1 billion LRT 1 project in Manila, Philippines
- The successful consortium of J-Power, Itochu Corporation and Adaro in relation to the development and financing of the Central Java IPP, a greenfield coal-fired IPP at Pemalang in Central Java with a capacity of up to 2000 MW
- Marubeni, Sojitz and Pertamina as sponsors in relation to the development and financing of the Jawa 1 LNG to power project in Indonesia
- IFC and ADB in relation to multiple hydro, wind and solar projects in Pakistan, Nepal and Indonesia
Awards & Accolades
- Ranked as a “Star Individual” for Projects and Infrastructure in Singapore by Chambers Asia Pacific (2015–2023)
- Recognized as a “Top Tier Lawyer” in Indonesia and Vietnam for Projects, Infrastructure & Energy by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2023)
- Ranked in the “Hall of Fame” for Projects and recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” for Energy in Singapore, and for Foreign Firms in Indonesia by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2023)
- Recognized as a “Market Leader” for Project Development, Project Finance and Banking in Singapore by IFLR1000 (2023)
- Recognized in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers for Project Finance and Development in Singapore
- Named in “IFLR Asia Best Lawyers 2021” in Singapore by IFLR1000
- Named in the “Top 30 Project Finance Practitioners in the World” by Best of the Best Expert Guide (2017)
- Named a “Thought Leader for Project Finance” by Who’s Who Legal: Project Finance (2017)
- Named the “Best Lawyer in Singapore for Project Finance and Development” by Best Lawyers (2017)
- Received “Lifetime Outstanding Achievement” award from Chambers Asia-Pacific (2015)
- Named “Most Innovative Lawyer” by the Financial Times (2015 – 2017)
- Clients tell Chambers Asia-Pacific that “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the table. If there has been a complex structure on a project in Asia in the last ten-plus years, you can bet that Bill has been involved.” (2023)