Leona McManus is counsel in the European Finance practice.
Her practice areas include the full range of English law derivatives transactions, debt capital markets and structured products. In addition, she advises on the structured finance aspects of project finance and leveraged finance transactions. Leona has notable experience in equity financing transactions involving equity derivatives and margin loans.
Leona represents a range of clients including key investment banks, corporates and infrastructure providers.
- The banks on the bonding facility for Aggreko and the arrangers in relation to the company's senior term loan B facility in an aggregate principal amount of $750 million and €500 million.
- Mubadala Capital on the establishment of an $3.5 billion evergreen origination platform with Barings.
- Frigoglass S.A.I.C. on the high yield notes offering of €260 million 6.875% senior secured notes due 2025 by its wholly owned subsidiary, Frigoglass Finance B.V. The notes are guaranteed on a senior secured basis by Frigoglass S.A.I.C. and certain of its subsidiaries.
- A consortium led by Pertamina Power Indonesia, Marubeni Corporation and Sojitz Corporation on the development and financing of the $1.7 billion integrated LNG-to-power project located in West Java Province, Indonesia.
- The commercial and development banks on the Enel Green Power portfolio project financing of three solar photovoltaic (PV) plants in Mexico -- Don Jose, Villanueva I and Villanueva III -- with an aggregate project value of approximately $1 billion.
- The sponsors on all aspects of the development and financing of the Central Térmica de Ressano Garcia S.A. (CTRG) joint venture project.
- Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company (Masdar) on the €300 million financing for the largest wind farm in the Republic of Serbia.
- The Egyptian government on all aspects of their first nuclear power plant program, including supporting the negotiations relating to the financing arrangements.
- The Frigoglass group on completing the restructuring of its existing indebtedness, which included €250 million 8.25 percent senior notes due 2018 issued by Frigoglass Finance and over €80 million of existing bank debt across eight facilities agreements.
- The lenders on negotiating and agreeing the hedging provisions of the senior finance documents related to the debt financing of the Bahrain LNG regasification terminal project.
- The lenders on India’s first synthetic rupee denominate margin loan.
- Lenders and borrowers on numerous other margin loans and equity financing transactions.
- Liberty Global on its novel cross-currency hedging transaction to hedge exposure to foreign exchange risk in respect of the Jamaican dollar following its acquisition of Cable & Wireless Communications.
- The lenders on negotiating and agreeing the hedging provisions of the senior finance documents related to the debt financing of the Facility D IWPP in Qatar.
- Clients on fixed income and FX derivatives in connection with leveraged financing transactions.
- Swap providers on the documentation for hedging the interest rate risk on other infrastructure project financings in the Middle East and Africa.
- Investors, financial institutions and hedge fund investors on equity-linked derivatives, including TRSs, prepaid variable forwards and funded collar structures.
- A major UK investment fund manager on prime brokerage arrangements.
- Advising clients on the implementation and compliance with margin requirements under various new collateral regimes.
- A central bank on the establishment of a master documentation structure for equity derivatives transactions.
Nottingham Law School
Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Commendation
LL.B. (Law and Accounting)
Awards & Accolades
- Leona is ranked as 'Up and Coming' in Capital Markets: Derivatives for Chambers UK 2022. They note that “She is thorough, responsive and helpful.” and “You get very high-class advice from her and there is no problem she cannot fix.”
- Leona is ranked as a next generation partner by Legal 500 UK 2022 in Derivatives and Structured Products. They note that "I was in contact with counsel Leona McManus who was outstanding in her work and advise provided to us. She met every deadline sat for deliverables, and always looks out for the client’s interests. Leona and the team have excellent knowledge of the Islamic Finance and hedging sector."
- Leona is ranked as a key lawyer in Legal 500 UK 2022 in Derivatives and Structured Products.
- Leona is ranked as a rising star by Legal 500 UK 2020 in Derivatives (including Commodities).
- Leona is ranked as a notable practitioner in IFLR1000 2020.