Richard Porter is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice and Head of the Singapore Office.
He advises on a wide range of cross-border corporate transactions, including public and private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, equity issues and restructurings. He is also a member of Shearman & Sterling's Technology, Media & Telecommunications, Healthcare, Retail & Consumer, Energy and Private Capital industry groups.
- InterContinental Energy on its US$115 million Series B capital raise with GIC and Hy24.
- An Asian battery manufacturer on its joint venture with a sovereign wealth fund to invest in electric vehicle assets.
- An Asian institution on its investment in a sustainable aviation fuels business.
- General Electric on the $3.25 billion sale of its Distributed Power business to Advent International and on various potential acquisitions in the oil and gas sector.
- IFM Investors on its acquisition of a minority stake in VTTI B.V.
- Hague & London Oil B.V. on its share for share exchange with Wessex Exploration PLC.
- Mubadala on its US$1 billion strategic partnership with KKR in APAC.
- A prominent Asian sovereign wealth fund on various co-investment transactions.
- Investcorp on:
- its US$500 million fund with Fung Capital in China’s Greater Bay Area;
- its £100 million acquisition of a majority stake in Tyrrells; and
- its subsequent £300 million sale of Tyrrells to Amplify Snack Brands, Inc.
- CVC Capital Partners on:
- its investment in Skroutz, Greece's leading e-commerce platform (Fund VII);
- its acquisition of Metropolitan Hospital Group (Fund VI)
- its acquisition of e-Travel SA, through its portfolio company Etraveli AB (Fund VI).
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its Series C investment in 10x Future Technologies.
- SS&C Technologies on its acquisition of Capita's life insurance and pensions servicing business in Ireland.
- Marlin Equity Partners on the acquisition of Wax Digital and its merger with Medius.
- Vitruvian Partners on its acquisition of a majority stake in JacTravel.
- Intuit Inc. on its acquisition of Acrede Technology.
- Symphony Technology Group on its purchase of the Bernard Hodes business in the UK.
- Morgan Stanley Private Equity on the disposal of its majority stake in Zenith Vehicle Contracts Limited.
- Electra Private Equity on its £150 million acquisition of a majority stake in Hotter Shoes.
- Liberty Global plc on:
- the sale of its European assets to Vodafone for US$22.7 billion;
- its split-off of Liberty Latin America, with an enterprise value of approximately US$9.3 billion; and
- the takeover of Cable & Wireless Communications plc at an enterprise value of US$8.2 billion.
- Fenway Sports Group (FSG) on the investment in FSG by RedBird Capital Partners, valuing FSG at US$7.35 billion, and New England Sports Ventures on its acquisition of Liverpool Football Club.
- Discovery, Inc. on its agreement with BBC Studios to separate their UKTV joint venture.
- Viacom on its US$345 million acquisition of Televisión Federal S.A. from Telefónica S.A and its £450 million acquisition of Channel 5 Broadcasting and ViacomCBS on its US$500 million sale of CNET Media Group to Red Ventures.
- Abu Dhabi Media Investment Corp on its joint venture with Sky to set up and operate Sky News Arabia.
- Aabar Investments on Aabar's and Daimler's acquisition of a stake in Brawn GP and on its acquisition of a stake in Virgin Galactic.
- Chipita S.A. on the sale of its business to Mondelēz International, Inc. for approximately US$2 billion.
- Barry Callebaut AG on its US$950 million acquisition of the cocoa ingredients business of Petra Foods.
- American Sugar Refining, Inc. on its investment in Belize Sugar Industries Limited.
- Intercontinental Exchange on:
- its partnership with Abu Dhabi National Oil Company and nine of the world’s largest energy traders to establish ICE Futures Abu Dhabi, a new Murban oil exchange;
- its intra-group reorganization and €1.3 Billion IPO of Euronext; and
- various internal corporate matters.
- ICE Benchmark Administration Limited on the acquisition of the ISDAFIX Benchmark from International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc.
- ICE Clear Europe on the setting up of its credit default swap (CDS) clearing service, one of the first European CDS clearing houses.
- An Asian blockchain infrastructure company on certain capital raise transactions.
- Citi Holdings on the sale of various mortgage portfolios by Future Mortgages Limited and Canada Square Operations Limited and on the sale of Future Mortgages Limited.
- Attica Bank S.A. on the sale of its non-performing loan portfolio to Aldridge EDC Specialty Finance.
- Qatar Investment Authority on its £2.6 billion takeover of Songbird Estates plc and the follow-on £4.1 billion takeover of Canary Wharf Group plc.
- AlbaCore Capital on its arrangements with TDR Capital for the £1.9 billion takeover of BCA Marketplace plc.
- Fairfax on its £1.2 billion takeover of Brit plc.
- Vector Capital on its takeover of Trafficmaster plc.
- Scandent Holdings on the acquisition by Xchanging plc of a 75% stake in Indian-listed Cambridge Solutions Limited.
Industrials / Manufacturing
- BE Aerospace, Inc on its US$398 million acquisition of UFC Aerospace Corp and its US$162 million acquisition of Satair A/S's OEM distribution business.
- The Dow Chemical Company on its intra-group reorganization in connection with its merger with DuPont.
- Lecta S.A. on its corporate reorganization, its €670 million refinancing and its €45 million acquisition of PaperlinX's Italian Operations.
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice
Oxford University, St Peter's College
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized as a “Rising Star Partner” for M&A in Singapore by IFLR1000 (2023)
- Recommended by Legal 500 UK in M&A: Upper Mid-Market and Premium deals, £250m+
- Recommended by Legal 500 UK in Private Equity: Transactions