Alex Bevan is a partner in the International Arbitration practice and the Managing Partner for the firm’s Abu Dhabi office. He leads the firm's Construction practice.
Alex specializes in complex international arbitration proceedings arising out of construction and development projects, investments, acquisitions and joint ventures. These disputes arise in a range of industries, in particular infrastructure, power, oil and gas and telecoms. He also regularly serves as Arbitrator in international arbitration proceedings.
Chambers Global notes that clients and peers have described Alex as “extremely able,” a “go-to guy for major international arbitrations,” and “a strategic thinker and a persuasive advocate” with “excellent relationship-building skills.” Chambers UK further noted that he is a “clinical cross-examiner” with “invaluable strategic thinking.” He has also been described as “outstanding – shrewd, hardworking and able.” Alex is recommended in Legal 500 EMEA and Legal 500 UK. He is described as “a strong advocate in major construction disputes” in the 2017 edition of Who’s Who Arbitration Legal – Construction, while Who's Who Legal: Arbitration 2018 notes that “Peers widely regard Alex Bevan as ‘one of the best construction arbitration specialists’ in the space who they consider ‘a natural born leader’.”
- Two international construction contractors as Respondents in ICC arbitration brought by a Middle Eastern State entity arising out of the development of a world-class medical facility in the Middle East. Law of the Claimant’s State, London seat. $3.7 billion at stake.
- International consortium of contractors as Claimants in ICC arbitration against a Middle Eastern State arising out of the design and construction of an airport. Law of the Middle Eastern State. Close to $1 billion at stake.
- European contractor as Claimant in ICC arbitration against a U.S. supplier in relation to a renewables project in the Middle East.
- Major Asian conglomerate in a dispute with a Middle Eastern LNG producer regarding our client’s potential liability related to a gas pipeline failure.
- North Asian company in LMAA arbitration arising from a contract to build an offshore construction vessel. London seat, English law.
- Middle Eastern luxury goods retailer in connection with a warranty claim (for a material adverse change) asserted by a private equity investor and arising from a share purchase agreement. English law.
- Middle Eastern investor in a dispute with a Eastern European country arising from a concession agreements to develop, maintain and operate high speed rail and high speed road networks.
- European consortium as Claimant in ICC arbitration arising out of the construction of a nuclear power plant in Finland. Stockholm seat, Finnish law. Over €6.1 billion at stake.
- Turkish industrial group as Claimant in ICC arbitration arising out of a major urban development project in Moscow. Geneva seat, English law.
- Indian industrial conglomerate as Respondent in ICC arbitration arising out of an agreement for the construction of an industrial gasses facility in Oman. Bahrain seat, Omani law.
- US engineering firm as Claimant in LCIA arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules in connection with a fire at an oil refinery in Lithuania. London seat, Lithuanian law.
- Middle Eastern State-owned company in a series of disputes with EPC Contractors and offtakers in connection with the construction and operation of power and water desalination plants. Law of the Middle Eastern State.
- Spanish investment bank as Claimant in two LCIA arbitrations in connection with the expropriation of an electricity distribution concession in Argentina. London seat, English and New York law.
- Syndicate of Spanish and U.S. investment banks as Claimants in LCIA arbitration in connection with the expropriation of an electricity distribution concession in Argentina. London seat, English law.
- Spanish investment bank as Claimant in two LCIA arbitrations in connection with financing arrangements made for the Dominican Republic. London seat, English and New York law.
- U.S. chemical engineering company as defendant in consolidated ICC arbitration against consortium concerning the construction of three plants for the production of polymer in Argentina, Spain and The Netherlands. New York seat, Argentine/Spanish/Dutch/Tennessee law.
- Swedish investors as Claimants in ICSID arbitration against Romania arising under Sweden-Romania BIT.
- Indian pharmaceutical company as Respondent in LCIA arbitration against Spanish supplier in connection with a contract for the sale of drug intermediaries. London seat, English law.
- Brazilian investment bank as Claimant in LCIA arbitration against a Swiss entity concerning a series of acquisitions in the Brazilian elevator industry. London seat, English and Brazilian law.
- Two European companies as Respondents in SIAC arbitration initiated by a South East Asian company in relation to a Share Purchase Agreement. Singapore seat, Singapore law.
- Indian entity as Respondent in SIAC arbitration arising out of the acquisition of a travel business.
- European pre-shipment inspection company as Claimant in UNCITRAL arbitration against South American State under bilateral investment treaty in connection with expropriation of investment. Laws of South American State.
- Turkish consortium as Claimant in ICC arbitration against Republic of Turkey concerning 30-year electricity distribution concession. Geneva seat, Turkish law.
- Middle Eastern telecoms operator as Respondent in an ICC arbitration arising out of a joint venture in Tunisia. Paris seat, Tunisian law.
- Middle Eastern telecoms operator as Claimant in two ICC arbitrations arising out of a joint venture in Yemen. London seat, Yemeni law.
- Middle Eastern telecoms operator as Respondent in LCIA arbitration arising out of a telecoms joint venture in Algeria. London seat, English law.
- African State-owned oil company in UNCITRAL arbitration against a U.S. energy company under long-term oil and gas sale and purchase agreement. London seat, English law.
The College of Law, Chester
Legal Practice Course, (Commendation)
The College of Law, Chester
Common Professional Examination, (Commendation)
University of Southampton
B.A., Combined Honours Politics and Spanish/Latin American Studies (First Class)
- Solicitor, Supreme Court of England and Wales
- Co-Chair, SIAC User’s Middle East Council
- Member, LCIA
- Member, International Arbitration Institute (IAI)
- Member, ICC UAE Committee on Arbitration
- Member, Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- Member, Spanish Arbitration Club (Club Español del Arbitraje)