John Cannon is a partner in the Compensation, Governance & ERISA practice.
He focuses on all aspects of compensation and benefits, including corporate, securities, bankruptcy, employment and tax laws and ERISA. He has extensive experience in executive compensation and corporate governance matters, Dodd-Frank and Sarbanes-Oxley, and the employee issues implicated in the mergers and acquisitions context. He also has experience in advising startup companies in the biotechnology sector regarding corporate and compensation matters.
John represents corporate and financial institution clients including Boston Scientific, Corning, Danone, ICE (Intercontinental Exchange), Textron, Thomson Reuters and Viacom.
- The independent directors of Wells Fargo in connection with the investigation of sales practices in the bank’s retail business
- The management of USI Insurance Services in negotiating compensation arrangements with the acquirers of the company, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P. and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- B/E Aerospace in its merger with Rockwell Collins
- The Chief Executive Officer of Level 3 Communications in connection with the merger of Level 3 with CenturyLink
- American Axle in its acquisition of Metaldyne Performance Group
- Sompo Holdings in its acquisition of Endurance Specialty Holdings
- Textron Inc. in its acquisition of Arctic Cat
- The review committee of the Board of Directors of JPMorgan Chase & Co. in connection with the “London Whale” matter
- The Board of Directors of Bunge Limited in connection with CEO succession
- Synthes in its merger with Johnson & Johnson
- Fenway Sports Group in various transactions, including the purchase and sale of the Florida Marlins and the acquisition of the Boston Red Sox, Roush Fenway Racing and Liverpool Football Club
- Boston Scientific, Corning, Danone, ICE (Intercontinental Exchange), Textron, Thomson Reuters and Viacom, relating to the compensation and benefits aspects of acquisitions
- American Axle, B/E Aerospace, Dun & Bradstreet, Dycom, Scripps Networks Interactive, Sears Hometown, Sonic and others providing ongoing executive compensation and related corporate governance and securities disclosure advice
- Various individual executives in connection with the negotiation of employment and severance agreements
New York University School of Law
- Inaugural Fellow, American College of Governance Counsel
- Member, Advisory Committee, Salzburg Global Forum on Corporate Governance
- Frequent law school lecturer: Harvard Law School, New York University School of Law, University of Pennsylvania Law School, James E. Rogers College of Law-University of Arizona; upcoming University of Colorado Law School and Notre Dame Law School.