Jeffrey Resetarits, a partner in the firm’s Litigation practice, represents clients in complex commercial litigation, including securities and antitrust class actions, and in regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings brought by the Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and FINRA.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling LLP, Jeff was a trial attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice hired through the Attorney General’s Honors Program, a law clerk to Judge Warren J. Ferguson of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and a law clerk to Judge Napoleon A. Jones, Jr. of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California.
Recent Litigation Experience Includes:
- Counsel to global banks including Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, and Morgan Stanley in securities class actions on behalf of investors in companies such as Alibaba, Schering-Plough, Enron, and Adeptus
- Counsel to global bank in connection with multiple lawsuits related to the collapse of the then-largest bitcoin exchange, Mt. Gox
- Counsel to senior executives and global corporations, including Fairfax, FLAG Telecom, and China-Biotics, in connection with securities class actions
- Counsel to global banks, including Bank of America, Mizuho, and Bank of Nova Scotia, in class actions asserting violations of the antitrust laws, RICO, and the Commodity Exchange Act related to various financial benchmarks
- Counsel to major banks and senior executives in connection with False Claims Act and FIRREA investigations and litigations brought by DOJ
- Counsel to multiple global banks and corporations in connection with investigations by DOJ, SEC, CFTC, and FINRA
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Editor of Shearman & Sterling’s Need-to-Know Litigation Weekly regarding Securities Litigation, M&A Litigation, Government/Regulatory Enforcement, Antitrust Litigation, and IP Litigation
- Wrote chapter on U.S. litigation for Chambers Legal Practice Guides (2014)
- Author, "Challenging Loss Causation in the Second Circuit," Law360 (2011)