Bill McCormack is a partner in the Project Development & Finance practice.
Based in Asia for over 20 years, Bill has advised on the development and financing of many significant energy and infrastructure projects in South and Southeast Asia, as well as acquisitions and disposals in the power and oil and gas sectors.
He advises a mix of sponsors and lenders including IFC, ADB, K-Sure, Marubeni, ENGIE and PETRONAS.
Bill has advised on some of the most complex “first-of-kind” projects in Asia and has a particular focus on renewables projects, including hydro, wind and solar.
- PETRONAS in respect of the development and financing (including bridge and long-term financing) of its approximately $28 billion RAPID (Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development) project in Malaysia
- The sponsors Metro Pacific Investments Corp, Ayala Corp and Macquarie Infrastructure Holdings in relation to the development and financing of the $1.1 billion LRT 1 project in Manila, Philippines
- The successful consortium of J-Power, Itochu Corporation and Adaro in relation to the development and financing of the Central Java IPP, a greenfield coal-fired IPP at Pemalang in Central Java with a capacity of up to 2000 MW
- Marubeni, Sojitz and Pertamina as sponsors in relation to the development and financing of the Jawa 1 LNG to power project in Indonesia
- IFC and ADB in relation to multiple hydro, wind and solar projects in Pakistan, Nepal and Indonesia
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in Singapore for Project Finance and Development Practice
- Recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” for Projects, Infrastructure & Energy: International in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and Vietnam by Chambers Asia Pacific, Legal 500 and IFLR1000 (2010 – 2020)
- Ranked as a “Star Individual” for Projects and Infrastructure: International in Singapore by Chambers Asia Pacific (2015 – 2020)
- Named in the “Top 30 Project Finance Practitioners in the World” by Best of the Best Expert Guide (2017)
- Named a “Thought Leader for Project Finance” by Who’s Who Legal: Project Finance (2017)
- Named the “Best Lawyer in Singapore for Project Finance and Development” by Best Lawyers (2017)
- Received “Lifetime Outstanding Achievement” award from Chambers Asia Pacific (2015)
- Named “Most Innovative Lawyer” by the Financial Times (2015 – 2017)
- Clients tell Chambers Asia-Pacific that Bill is “instrumental in engaging with all the project parties and he's extremely diplomatic. What's really impressive is that he can deliver and address complicated issues in a way that everyone can understand.” (2020)