Domenico Fanuele is the Managing Partner in the Rome and Milan offices and the Head of the Italian Corporate Group.
He focuses on private and public M&A, real estate, capital markets transactions and strategic joint ventures.
Domenico represents investment banks, corporate clients, property companies and private equity funds in a broad range of transactions including TPG, Blackstone, Allianz, Qatar Investment Authority, American Sugar Group and York.
He joined Shearman & Sterling in New York in 1999 after practicing for three years in London with another leading U.S. firm and has been resident in Shearman & Sterling’s Rome office since its opening in March 2002.
- York Capital Management Europe (U.K.) Advisors LLP in the acquisition from Milano 90 S.r.l. of a portfolio of prestigious buildings located in the historical center of Rome of €750 million value.
- TPG Special Situations in the acquisition of all units of an Italian real estate fund holding a Telecom real estate portfolio.
- Blackstone in the acquisition of Palmanova Outlet Village.
- Allianz SE in its acquisition of a P&C Insurance Business from UnipolSai.
- Blackstone in its acquisition of a portfolio of real estate assets in central and northern Italy.
- Blackstone in its acquisition of RCS Mediagroup S.p.A.’s historical buildings in Milan and headquarters of the Corriere della Sera newspaper.
- Blackstone in its acquisition of Valecenter and Airone shopping centers.
- The American Sugar Group in its acquisition of a 50% interest in S.R.B. S.p.A., the owner of the second largest sugar refinery in Europe.
- Qatar Holding in its investment in three real estate funds holding the Porta Nuova real estate project.
- Coesia Group in Acquisition of Oystar North America.
- The Joint Global Coordinators in the initial public offering of Brunello Cucinelli.
- The Joint Global Coordinators and guarantor banks in the €7 billion capital increase of Unicredit in 2012.
- Aabar Investments PJSC, a company controlled by the International Petroleum Corporation of Abu Dhabi, in its acquisition of a 6.5% interest in Unicredit S.p.A. and a 3.3% in Atlantia S.p.A.
- Mubadala Development Company in its Italian investment in the aerospace industry
- The Joint Global Coordinators and guarantor banks in the €4 billion capital increase of UniCredit in 2010.
- Realty Vailog (a listed company of the Alerion/Reno dei Medici Group) in connection with the cash tender offer for all of its shares promoted by Industria e Innovazione and its subsequent public reverse merger with Industria e Innovazione.
- The Board of Directors of Polynt in connection with the take private of the company by private equity fund Investindustrial and the relevant delisting.
- Whitehall Funds, a family of real estate funds managed by The Goldman Sachs Group, in its takeover of Berenice and Tecla, the Italian real estate investment funds managed by the Pirelli Group.
- Allianz in the sale of Rasfin to Banca Leonardo.
- International Chemical Investors in its acquisition of (i) Miteni S.p.A. from Mitsubishi, (ii) Corden Pharma S.p.A. from AstraZeneca, (iii) the manufacturing business of Bristol Myers-Squibb located in Sermoneta (Latina).
- Allianz in the reorganization of its Italian Activities, consisting in the combination of the businesses of Ras, Lloyd Adriatico and Allianz Subalpina in one single corporate entity.
- Mediobanca and Merrill Lynch in connection with the listing of Polynt on the Milan Stock Exchange.
- Allianz in its voluntary public tender offer on all of the outstanding shares of RAS and the subsequent merger of RAS into Allianz to form the first listed European Company on the DAXX 50.
- Gabetti Property Solutions in its reverse merger with La Gaiana. The first reverse merger between two listed companies in Italy.
- Merrill Lynch International and Mediobanca in the €7.6 billion third tranche and the €4.1 billion fourth tranche of the privatization of Enel.
Columbia University School of Law
Libera Universita Internazionale degli Studi Sociali
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Law School of Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali LUISS (Comitato di indirizzo del Dipartimento di Giurisprudenza)
- Member of The Council for the Relations between Italy and the United States
Awards & Accolades
- Named “Real Estate Lawyer of the Year” at the Legalcommunity Corporate M&A Awards. (2016 and 2015)
- Honored as one of the 40 most influential lawyers under the age of 50 in Italy by TopLegal magazine. (February 2016)
- Named one of the 30 most powerful lawyers in Italy by GQ Magazine. (November 2015)
- Recognized as one of the top 50 Italian lawyers by the Italian legal magazine. (November 2015)