Domenico Fanuele is a partner with Studio Legale Associato Shearman & Sterling LLP in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group as well as the Head of Rome and Milan offices and the Italian corporate practice of Studio Legale Associato Shearman & Sterling LLP. He focuses on private and public M&A, real estate, capital markets transactions and strategic joint ventures. Domenico represents investment banks, corporate clients, property companies and private equity funds in a broad range of transactions. He joined Shearman & Sterling in New York in 1999 after practicing for three years in London with another leading U.S. firm and has been resident in Shearman & Sterling’s Rome office since its opening in March 2002 when he founded the Italian Corporate practice.
Shearman & Sterling LLP Firm practices in Italy in association with Studio Legale Associato Shearman & Sterling LLP. Partners in the Rome and Milan offices are partners in Studio Legale Associato Shearman & Sterling LLP.
- Hines and Apollo Capital in the acquisition of the controlling stake of Aedes SIIQ S.p.A., a listed real estate investment company and subsequent tender offer to acquire its outstanding shares.
- Qatar Investment Authority in a public tender offer to delist COIMA RES S.p.A. SIIQ, Italian REIT.
- Allianz in its Italian and pan-European bancassurance joint venture with Unicredit.
- Blackstone in the Italian aspect of the sale of its European logistic platform Lastmile for Euro 22 billion.
- The Italian Ministry of Economy in its assessment of the possible tender offer from KKR over TIM S.p.A.
- BentallGreenOak in its acquisition of a control interest in Techbau S.p. A. and in several acquisitions of logistic, industrial and office real estate assets.
- Blackstone in several acquisitions of real estate assets in the office and logistic sector.
- HP Partners (a portfolio company of Blackstone) in its acquisition of five resorts from Aeroviaggi.
- Castlelake in several preferred equity investments.
- The shareholders of VRV S.p.A. in their divestiture to Chart Industries Inc.
- Mark in several acquisition of real estate assets in the logistic sector and the Italian aspects of the sale of its logistic platform Crossbay.
- The Italian Ministry of Economy and Finance in the privatization of Enav S.p.A.
- Blackstone in its acquisition of RCS Mediagroup S.p.A.’s historical buildings in Milan and headquarters of the Corriere della Sera newspaper.
- York Capital Management Europe (U.K.) Advisors LLP in the acquisition from Milano 90 S.r.l. of a portfolio of trophy buildings located in the historical center of Rome of Euro 750 MM value.
- Qatar Investment Authority in its acquisition of the all quotas of the Italian real estate funds holding the Porta Nuova real estate project in Milan (gross and value of Euro 3.4 billion).
- Blackstone in its voluntary tender offer to acquire the fund Atlantic First.
- Allianz SE in its acquisition of a P&C Insurance Business from UnipolSai and its bancassurance agreement with Unicredit.
- Coesia Group in Acquisition of Oystar North America.
- The Joint Global Coordinators in the initial public offering of Brunello Cucinelli.
- The Joint Global Coordinators and guarantor banks in the €7 billion capital increase of Unicredit in 2012.
- The Joint Global Coordinators and guarantor banks in the €4 billion capital increase of UniCredit in 2010.
- The Board of Directors of Polynt in connection with the take private of the company by private equity fund Investindustrial and the relevant delisting.
- Whitehall Funds, a family of real estate funds managed by The Goldman Sachs Group, in its takeover of Berenice and Tecla, the Italian real estate investment funds managed by the Pirelli Group.
- Allianz in the sale of Rasfin to Banca Leonardo.
- Allianz in the reorganization of its Italian Activities, consisting in the combination of the businesses of Ras, Lloyd Adriatico and Allianz Subalpina in one single corporate entity.
- Allianz in its voluntary public tender offer on all of the outstanding shares of RAS and the subsequent merger of RAS into Allianz to form the first listed European Company on the DAXX 50.
- Merrill Lynch International and Mediobanca in the €7.6 billion third tranche and the €4.1 billion fourth tranche of the privatization of Enel.
Columbia University School of Law
Libera Universita Internazionale degli Studi Sociali
- Member of The Council for the Relations between Italy and the United States
Awards & Accolades
- Named “Real Estate Lawyer of the Year” at the Legalcommunity Corporate M&A Awards. (2016 and 2015)
- Honored as one of the 40 most influential lawyers under the age of 50 in Italy by TopLegal magazine. (February 2016)
- Named one of the 30 most powerful lawyers in Italy by GQ Magazine. (November 2015)
- Recognized as one of the top 50 Italian lawyers by the Italian legal magazine. (November 2015)