George Karafotias is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
He focuses on complex U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions transactions, advising clients on both public (negotiated and hostile) and private M&A transactions, joint ventures and strategic investments. He also works closely with boards and senior management on their most complex and strategically significant transactions.
George joined the M&A group in New York in 1998. He is recognized as a leading Corporate/M&A lawyer by Chambers Global and Chambers USA and as a leading M&A lawyer by Legal 500 UK.
- NYSE-listed Gener8 Maritime, Inc. in connection with its stock-for-stock merger with Euronav N.A. to create the leading independent large crude tanker operator with 75 crude tankers, including 44 very large crude carriers (VLCCs) and 28 Suezmax crude tankers
- Novartis in connection with its acquisition of Advanced Accelerator Applications S.A. for $3.9 billion
- Dish TV India Limited and Videocon d2h Limited in connection with their amalgamation by way of scheme of arrangement and listing of new Dish TV GDRs on the LSE
- Barry Callebaut in connection with its acquisition of the ingredients business of Gertrude Hawk Chocolates, Inc.
- Delek Group in connection with its offer to purchase the entire issued share capital of Ithaca Energy, Inc. (other than shares already owned by Delek Group) for C$1.95 per share, or approximately C$681 million
- Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited in connection with its acquisition of NYSE-listed Allied World Assurance Company Holdings AG in a cash and stock transaction valued at approximately $4.9 billion
- The Supreme Petroleum Council of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company in the grant to BP plc of a 10% interest in Abu Dhabi’s ADCO onshore oil concession, one of the world’s largest onshore concessions, and the issuance by BP plc of new ordinary shares representing approximately 2% of BP’s issued share capital, to be held on behalf of the Abu Dhabi Government
- State Grid International Development Limited, the largest Chinese state-owned enterprise, as the preferred strategic investor in connection with its acquisition of a 24% interest in Independent Power Transmission Operator (ADMIE), a wholly owned subsidiary of Greece state-owned Public Power Corporation
- Sompo Holdings, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of NYSE-listed Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd. for US$6.3 billion
- Ardagh Group S.A. in connection with its acquisition of certain beverage can manufacturing assets in Europe, Brazil and the United States from Ball Corporation and Rexam plc for an enterprise value of $3.42 billion
- Delek Group Ltd in connection with its 20% investment in Ithaca Energy, Inc.
- Qatar Holdings in its takeover offer (together with Brookfield Property Partners L.P.) for Songbird Estates plc., at a price of 350p per share, valuing Songbird at approximately £2.6 billion and with an enterprise value of approximately £5.6 billion
- Qatar Investment Authority in its acquisition of $1.8 billion of exchangeable preferred equity securities of Brookfield Property L.P., a subsidiary of Brookfield Property Partners L.P.
- Continental AG in connection with the restructuring of a joint venture
- GTIS Partners in its cash tender offer (together with GP Investments Ltd) to acquire up to all of the outstanding shares of BHG S.A. – Brazil Hospitality Group that GP Investments and its affiliates do not already own, at a price of R$19.00 per share, valuing BHG at approximately R$1.2 billion
- Credit Suisse as financial advisor to GTECH S.p.A. in connection with its acquisition of International Game Technology. Inc. for approximately $4.7 billion
- Frigoglass S.A.I.C in connection with the sale of its glass container manufacturing operations, plastics activities and crown manufacturing in Nigeria and Dubai to GZI Mauritius Limited.
- ArcelorMittal in its acquisition with Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation (through a 50/50 joint venture partnership) of 100% of ThyssenKrupp Steel USA from ThyssenKrupp for US$1.55 bn
- ArcelorMittal in its US$1.1 billion sale of a 15% interest in a joint venture comprising ArcelorMittal’s Labrador Trough iron ore mining and infrastructure assets in Canada to a consortium led by POSCO of Korea and China Steel Corporation of Taiwan
- Itaú Unibanco in its public tender offer to non-controlling shareholders of Redecard SA for approximately US$5.17 billion
- South American Deal of the Year, M&A Atlas Awards, 2013
- Lecta S.A. in connection with its acquisition of Polyedra S.p.A. from PaperLinx Limited
- ArcelorMittal in connection with its sale of Skyline Steel to Nucor Corporation for approximately US$605 million
- Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Gleacher Shacklock as financial advisors to BAE Systems in connection with its proposed (abandoned) US$45 billion business combination with EADS
- Credit Suisse as financial advisor to BP in connection with the sale of its 50% shareholding in TNK-BP to Rosneft for approximately US$27 billion
- Charter International plc in connection with its £1.5 billion acquisition by Colfax Corporation
- M&A Deal of the Year, IFLR Europe, 2012
- Ardagh Glass Group S.A. in connection with its acquisition of Impress Coöperatieve U.A. for €1.7 billion
- Cadbury plc in connection with the unsolicited takeover proposal from and subsequent acquisition by Kraft Foods Inc.
- Mid Europa Partners in connection with its acquisition of a controlling stake in Invitel Holdings A/S and related debt restructuring, and with its subsequent tender offer for the remaining shares in Invitel Holdings A/S not already owned by Mid Europa Partners
- Pão de Açucar Group in connection with its acquisition of Ponto Frio for US$422 million
- AngloGold Ashanti Limited in connection with the sale of its joint venture interest in the Boddington Gold Mine in Western Australia to Newmont Mining Corporation for approximately US$1.1 billion
- BAE Systems plc in connection with its acquisition of Detica plc for approximately US$1.1 billion
- The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc in connection with its consortium acquisition of ABN AMRO Holding N.V. for approximately US$98 billion
- M&A Deal of the Year, IFLR Europe, 2008
- Norsk Hydro ASA in the merger of its oil and gas activities with Statoil ASA to create the world’s largest offshore operator with a market capitalization of approximately US$90 billion
- ArcelorMittal in its acquisition of Siderúrgica Lázaro Cárdenas las Truchas, S.A. de C.V., the leading long steel producer in Mexico, and BSRM Holdings, Inc., a mini-mill in Texas, United States for a combined enterprise value of US$1.4 billion
- Indian Hotels Company Limited, a member of the Tata Group, in connection with its investment in Orient-Express Hotels Ltd.
- Rio Tinto plc in its strategic investment in Ivanhoe Mines Ltd.
- The Special Committee of the Board of Directors of HCA Inc. in connection with HCA Inc.’s going private transaction valued at approximately US$33 billion
- The Special Committee of the Board of Directors of ARAMARK in connection with ARAMARK’s going private transaction valued at approximately US$8.3 billion
- Arcelor S.A. in its acquisition of Dofasco Inc. for C$5.6 billion
- ABN AMRO Bank N.V. and Morgan Stanley & Co. Limited as financial advisors to Euronext N.V. in connection with its merger with NYSE Group, Inc. to create the world’s largest securities exchange with a market capitalization of approximately US$20 billion
- Embraer-Empresa Brasileira de Aeronáutica S.A. in its corporate restructuring and listing on the Novo Mercado segment of the São Paulo Stock Exchange
- PetroChina Company Limited in its privatization of Jilin Chemical Industrial Company Ltd. pursuant to the first general offer for a PRC company with domestic “A” shares listed on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange and foreign invested “H” shares listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange
- AngloGold Limited in its acquisition of Ashanti Goldfields Company Limited pursuant to the first scheme of arrangement effected under Ghanaian law
- Fiat S.p.A. in its strategic alliance with General Motors
University of Pennsylvania
University of Adelaide
University of Adelaide
- Founding Member of the Advisory Board for the Masters in Law and Finance Program (a joint program of the Law Faculty and Saïd Business School) at University of Oxford, 2009 - 2017
- Member of the Advisory Committee for the Practising Law Institute’s Annual Institute on Securities Regulation in Europe
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized as a leading Corporate/M&A lawyer by Chambers Global and Chambers USA
- Recognized as a leading M&A lawyer by Legal 500 UK