Derrick Lott is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
Derrick works on complex, high-profile public and private transactions, as well as minority investments, joint ventures and corporate governance matters. In addition, he has deep experience in both securities laws and the fiduciary duty and process issues that are unique to complex public company transactions in the TMT, industrial, healthcare, chemical, and financial sectors. Derrick also regularly represents investment banks in connection with financial advisory assignments.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Derrick worked at the American Constitution Society as a Programs Law Fellow and as a judicial extern for the Honorable Gerald Bruce Lee in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- LyondellBasell in its "modified Dutch Auction" tender offer to purchase up to 37,000,000 of its issued and outstanding ordinary shares.
- GlaxoSmithKline in its acquisition of TESARO, Inc.
- Altice USA, Inc. in various corporate and transactional matters, including its initial public offering of shares , its spin-off from Altice Europe N.V., its acquisition of Audience Partners, LLC, and its sale of a majority stake of Newsday to Patrick Dolan.
- Dassault Systèmes S.E. in its acquisition of Exa Corporation.
- Bunge Limited in its acquisition of a 70% ownership interest in IOI Loders Croklaan from IOI Corporation Berhad.
- Textron Inc. in its acquisition of Arctic Cat Inc.
- Ness Digital Engineering, a portfolio company of The Rohatyn Group (TRG), in its acquisition of Linium, LLC.
- General Electric Company in its sale of its energy finance business to Starwood Property Trust, Inc.
- Unibail-Rodamco SE in its acquisition of Westfield Corporation.
- S&P Global, Inc. in various corporate and transactional matters, including its sale of J.D. Power & Associates to XIO Group and its sale of the McGraw Hill Construction division to Symphony Technology Group.
- Wausau Paper Corp. in its acquisition by Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget SCA (publ).
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries in its acquisition of InSite Vision Inc.
- Pall Corporation in its acquisition by Danaher Corporation and its acquisition of the life sciences business of ATMI, Inc.
- IceArizona Acquisition Co., LLC in its sale of 51% stake in the National Hockey League's Arizona Coyotes franchise to Andrew Barroway.
- Pierpont Securities LLC in its merger with Amherst Securities Group LP.
- Ardagh Group S.A. in its sale of Anchor Glass Container Corporation to KPS Capital Partners, LP.
- McGraw-Hill Global Education Intermediate Holdings, LLC as a member of a consortium in its acquisition, through ChinaEdu Holdings Limited, of ChinaEdu Corporation.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch when acting as financial advisors, including as financial advisor to 7-Eleven, Inc. in its acquisition of a Sunoco chain of gas stations, as co-financial advisor to Bayer AG in its acquisition of Monsanto Company and as co-financial advisor Omnicare in its sale to CVS Pharmacy Inc.
- Barclays Capital Inc. when acting as financial advisors, including as financial advisor to Equity One, Inc., in its acquisition by Regency Centers Corporation and as financial advisor to TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation in its acquisition of Scottrade Financial Services, Inc.
- Goldman, Sachs & Co., J.P. Morgan Securities LLC and PJT Partners as financial advisors to the independent committee of the board of directors of Yahoo! Inc. in its sale of its operating business to Verizon Communications Inc.
American University, Washington College of Law
Washington and Lee University
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (2017)
- Co-Chair, Shearman & Sterling LLP’s Black Lawyers Affinity Group (2014 - 2017)
Awards & Accolades
- Derrick was selected by The Deal as a “Rising Star” in The Dealmaker Quarterly (2019).