Gillian Emmett Moldowan is counsel in the Compensation, Governance & ERISA practice.
She advises companies, boards of directors, executives and investors on compensation and benefit matters, including equity-based incentives, deferred compensation programs and employment, retention and severance arrangements. Her practice focuses in particular on issues that arise in securities offerings and mergers and acquisitions transactions. She regularly counsels clients on disclosure, corporate governance, trading rules (including Section 16) and the negotiation of executive employment arrangements. Gillian also advises on the applicability of federal securities law, tax law and general employment-related legal issues.
- Regularly provides executive compensation, disclosure and governance advice to corporate and financial institution clients, including Advanced Disposal, Altice USA, American Axle & Manufacturing, Andeavor, Boston Scientific, Constellium, EQT, Fairfax Financial, General Electric, Guggenheim Partners, Sasol, The Chefs’ Warehouse, The Medicines Company, The Rohatyn Group and Valvoline
- Regularly advises individual executives of public companies and private enterprises on employment, retention and severance issues, including having provided advice to the CEO of a significant not-for-profit media company, the CEO of a joint venture between Pamplona Capital Management and Northwell Health Systems and the interim CEO of Cheniere Energy
- Wafra Inc. in connection with its launch of Global Container International Holdings LLC
- General Electric in its combination of GE Oil & Gas and Baker Hughes
- Altice USA in its initial public offering and subsequent separation from Altice N.V.
- Citi in its divestiture of foreign assets
- Community Bank System in its acquisition of Merchants Bancshares, Inc.
- Seacoast Banking Corporation in its acquisition of GulfShore Bancshares, Inc.
- Symplicity Corporation in its sale to H.I.G. Capital
- Mantle Ridge in its investment in CSX Corporation
- Lockheed Martin Corporation in its $9 billion acquisition of Sikorsky Aircraft from United Technologies Corporation
- Fandango in its acquisition of Ingresso.com from B2W Companhia Digital
- Cogent Partners in its $97.6 million sale to Greenhill & Co., Inc.
- BATS Global Markets in its $365 million acquisition of HotSpot FX
- Goldman Sachs and Rhone Capital in their acquisition of Neovia Logistics
- C1 Financial in its $44 million initial public offering
- Freeport-McMoRan in its $1.8 billion sale of Candelaria/Ojos
- Comcast Corporation in its $45.2 billion bid to acquire Time Warner Cable, Inc., divest cable systems to Charter Communications and spinoff of GreatLand Connections
- Roche in its $8.3 billion acquisition of InterMune
- Auris Medical Holding AG in its $56 million initial public offering
- GeoPark Limited in its $95 million initial public offering
- PricewaterhouseCoopers in its acquisition of Booz & Company
- Campbell Soup in its acquisition of Plum Organics
- ConAgra Foods, Inc. in its $5 billion acquisition of Ralcorp Holdings, Inc.
The George Washington University Law School
J.D., with Highest Honors
- Order of the Coif
- George Washington Scholar
- Member, The George Washington Law Review
Barnard College, Columbia University
- Trustee, Stevens Cooperative School Board of Trustees (present)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Law360 (July 2018)
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Author, “Effectively Telling Your Executive Compensation Story as an Activist Defensive Measure” (July 2018)
- Panelist, Practising Law Institute’s (PLI), “Understanding the Securities Laws 2018” (July 20, 2018)
- Presenter, Knowledge Group, “Executive Compensation in the Continuously Evolving 2018 Landscape,” Webcast (April 19, 2018)
- Presenter, Knowledge Group, “Shareholder Activism: Managing & Mitigating Risks in 2018,” Live Webcast (March 6, 2018)
- Interviewee, Voice of Experience, Glass Hammer (December 2017)