Etienne Gelencsér is a partner in Project Development & Finance practice.
His practice primarily focuses on finance transactions, including acquisition, project and structured finance and he regularly represents both financial institutions and corporate clients. His practice also involves the representation of sponsors and investors in private equity transactions, including fund formation, fund investment and related portfolio acquisitions.
Etienne represents sponsors and lenders, private equity, leading financial institutions including Japanese export credit and development financial institutions, commercial financial institutions, trading houses and corporates.
- Mong Duong Finance Holdings B.V. in its offering of $678.5 million 5.125% Senior Secured Notes due 2029 and execution of a &402.7 million Senior Secured Loan Facility provided by an international syndicate of commercial bank lenders, for the purpose of acquiring all of the outstanding project financing loans of AES Mong Duong Power Company
- Japanese financial institutions in connection with an investment in global infrastructure debt instruments through a separately managed account and a standalone syndicated fund
- DBJ and Showa Shell in connection with their investment in South Field combined-cycle gas turbine power generation project in the State of Ohio, USA
- DBJ in connection with their investment in Linden combined-cycle gas turbine project in the State of New Jersey
- The Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) and Mizuho Bank as lenders and Nippon Export and Investment Insurance (NEXI) in relation to the development and financing of the 350 MW solar power project in Andrah Pradesh, India
- DBJ in connection with their investment in Cricket Valley Energy Centre LLC, a combined-cycle gas turbine power generation project in the state of New York
- J-Power, PT Adaro Energy Tbk and Itochu in the development and financing of the $4.3 billion 2,000MW Central Java IPP, a greenfield coal-fired power project in Central Java in Indonesia - Awarded “Power Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International in 2016, “Asia Pacific Power Deal of the Year” by IJ Global Asia Awards 2016 and “Project Finance Deal of the Year” by The IFLR Asia Awards 2016
- A State Authority in the MENA region on the financing of a $25 billion nuclear new build project and negotiating the EPC, Fuel Supply, O&M, and Radioactive Waste Treatment Contracts
- SunEdison in the sale of SunEdison Japan and related solar energy assets in Japan
- JBIC and the commercial lenders providing finance supporting numerous bids and ultimately the winning bidder of the $3 billion 2,520 MW and 136.5 MIGD Facility D IWPP in Qatar
- Erdenes Oyu Tolgoi LLC, a Mongolian state-owned company, regarding joint venture and financing matters for the $10 billion Oyu Tolgoi copper and gold project, the largest financial undertaking in Mongolia’s history and one of the largest mine financings completed to date, which project is jointly owned by Rio Tinto and Erdenes - Awarded “Asia Pacific Mining Deal of the Year,” by Project Finance International (PFI), 2015
- K-Sure, KoFC, JBIC and other lenders in relation to the Cochrane power project in Chile involving the construction of two 236 MW coal-fired power plants being developed by AES and Mitsubishi
- Various investors and developers on the financing arrangements and the structuring of publicly traded companies formed to own operating and development of renewable projects in Japan and Asia
- NEXI, JBIC and commercial banks in relation to the development and financing of the nuclear power project in the U.K.
- Japanese governmental institutions in the structuring and investment into a global infrastructure fund focused on investments in mega-infrastructure projects
- JBIC in its 30% equity investment in JX Nippon Oil Exploration (EOR) (a subsidiary of JX Nippon Oil & Gas Exploration Corporation) in connection with the development of the cogeneration, carbon capture sequestration and enhanced oil recovery project in West Ranch oil field in Texas with NRG Energy Inc.
- JBIC, NEXI and commercial lenders supporting Mitsui and PEMEX subsidiary MGI Enterprises on their bid for the development of the Sasabe-Guayma pipeline in the States of Sonora, Mexico
- A Japanese cooperative bank in connection with a restructuring of loans to real-estate developments in Europe
LL.B. and B.A.
- England und Wales
- Japan (as a Registered Foreign Lawyer)
- New South Wales, Australia
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in the major legal directories including: Projects & Energy and Investment Funds by Chambers Asia; Banking & Finance and Project Finance by IFLR1000; and Banking and Finance in Japan by Who’s Who Legal
- Named as one of the “Rising Stars” under the age of 40 by Law360
- Commentators regard Etienne as someone who “always poses good solutions to make deals proceed.” (Chambers Asia, 2016)
- Co-author of “The Basel effect”, February 2014, Project Finance