- Anglo American/CODELCO | Anglo American on its $5.39 billion sale of a 24.5% interest in Anglo American Sur, comprising copper assets in Chile, to Mitsubishi, and in its subsequent settlement of the related dispute with, and its $2.8 billion sale of an interest in Anglo American Sur to, CODELCO. Named “Global M&A Deal of the Year 2013 (Chile)”— The American Lawyer
- African Barrick Gold (ABG) IPO | ABG in the £2.3 billion initial public offering on the London Stock Exchange, creating one of the five largest gold producers in Africa. Positioned to consider smaller-scale Africa-based opportunities, ABG’s business model was customized to suit the continent.
- ArcelorMittal/Labrador Trough JV | ArcelorMittal in the sale of its Labrador Trough iron ore mining and infrastructure assets to a consortium led by POSCO and China Steel Corporation through a joint partnership between the consortium and ArcelorMittal Mines Canada.
- Pueblo Viejo Gold/Copper Project | Barrick Gold and Goldcorp in the $1.035 billion bank/agency project financing for their $3.7 billion brownfield gold/copper project in the Dominican Republic. Named “Mining Deal of the Year 2010 (Americas)”— Project Finance International and “Best Project Finance 2010”— Latin Lawyer
- Mt. Hope Molybdenum Project | General Moly in the proposed Chinese bank financing of the Mt. Hope Molybdenum Project in Nevada owned jointly by it, POSCO and Hanlong.
- Inmet HY Notes | Inmet Mining in its high-yield senior notes offering to finance in part the development of the Cobre Panama Project, an open-pit copper development in Panama, in which KORES holds an investment.
- Mbalam/Nabeba Project | Sundance Resources on the complex Mbalam/Nabeba high-grade iron ore mine, rail and port project in Cameroon and the Congo, one of the largest and most sophisticated projects in the greater Central Africa region.
- Mergermarket Awards 2019—Shearman & Sterling was named “Energy, Mining & Utilities M&A Legal Advisor of the Year”
- IJGlobal Deal of the Year Awards 2018—Shearman & Sterling’s Project Development & Finance practice was honored with the Latin American Mining Deal of the Year—Fruta del Norte Phase II
- Mines and Money Awards for Outstanding Achievement 2018—“Best Mid-Cap Deal”—Fruta del Norte Phase II
- IJGlobal Deal of the Year Awards 2017— “Latin America Mining & Metals Deal of the Year”—Fruta del Norte Phase II
- GUYANA GOLDFIELDS
- Mining & Metals Deal of the Year 2014—IJGlobal
- Corporate Development Award 2014—Mining Journal Outstanding Achievement Awards
- Advised International Finance Corporation (IFC), Export Development Canada (EDC), ING Capital LLC, Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation and The Bank of Nova Scotia, as senior lenders, in connection with the $185 million financing, consisting of two tranches, a $160 million facility and a $25 million cost overrun facility, related to the construction and development of the Aurora Gold project, located in Guyana, South America.
- ANGLO AMERICAN
- Global M&A Deal of the Year: Chile 2013—The American Lawyer
- Advised Anglo American on its $5.39 billion sale of an interest in Anglo American Sur, comprising copper assets in Chile, to Mitsubishi, and in its subsequent settlement of the related dispute, and its $2.8 billion sale of an interest in AA Sur to CODELCO.
- VEDANTA RESOURCES’ HIGH YIELD BOND OFFERING
- Deal of the Year 2013 Honorable Mentions 2013—Asian-MENA Counsel
- Capital Markets Deal of the Year 2013—India Business Law Journal 2013
- Best India Deal 2013—FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2013
- The underwriters in connection with Vedanta Resources' Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of US$1.2 billion 6.0% notes and US$500 million 7.125% notes
- NIPPON STEEL CORPORATION-SUMITOMO METAL
- M&A Deal of the Year 2013—ALB Japan Law Awards
- Sumitomo Metal Industries, Ltd. in its US$22.5 billion business integration with Nippon Steel Corporation
- MONGOLIAN MINING CORPORATION HIGH-YIELD OFFERING
- Deal of the Year 2012—Asian-MENA Counsel
- High-Yield Bond Award 2012—IFLR Asia
- ING Bank, J.P. Morgan, Merrill Lynch, Standard Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, as initial purchasers, in connection with the offering of US$600 million in aggregate principal amount of 8.875% guaranteed senior notes due 2017 by Mongolian Mining Corporation. This was the first international corporate bond issued out of Mongolia
- TATA STEEL DEAL RANKED 'COMMENDED' BY FT INNOVATIVE LAWYERS AWARDS 2012
- Tata Steel Deal Ranked 'Commended' by FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2012
- Shearman & Sterling was commended in the rankings for "Most Innovative Firms in Corporate Law" in the FT Innovative Lawyers 2012. We represented Tata Steel in its sale of some Teesside Cast Products assets to SSI - Thailand's largest steel producer.