Derek Kershaw is a partner in the Tax practice. He advises clients on a range of areas of tax law. His practice includes domestic and international transactional work, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity and hedge fund investments and structuring, REITs and other pass-through entities, and real estate.
- JetBlue Airways Corporation in its pending $3.8 billion acquisition of Spirit Airlines Inc.
- Liberty Global plc in its $23.3 billion acquisition of Virgin Media plc
- The Dow Chemical Company in its $5 billion Reverse Morris Trust transaction with Olin for the Chlor-Alkali and Derivatives business and its disposition of Styron to Bain Capital, and advice to Dow on related tax matters
- Albemarle Corporation in its $6.2 billion merger with Rockwood Holdings, Inc. and its $3.2 billion sale of its Chemetall Surface Treatment Business to BASF, and advise to Albemarle on related tax matters
- B/E Aerospace, Inc. in its tax-free spin-off of its consumables business, KLX Inc., to shareholders, and in its subsequent sale to Rockwell Collins
- American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings, Inc. in connection with its $1.6 billion cash and stock acquisition of Metaldyne Performance Group Inc.
- SunGard in a tax-free corporate division and in its subsequent sale to Fidelity Information Services
- Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. in its acquisition by Bank of America Corporation
- City Office REIT in its formation and IPO on the NYSE
- Welsh Industrial Real Estate Investment Trust in connection with post-IPO offering
- China Investment Corporation in the formation of, and its acquisition of a 49% stake in, a private REIT
- Norges Bank in the formation of, and its acquisition of a 49% stake in, multiple private REITs
- Qatar Investment Authority in a restructuring and partial sell-down of its interest in a private REIT
- Mitsui Fudosan Investment Advisors in connection with the formation of a private REIT
- Mountain Lion Mining, LLC in structuring a crypto mining JV and developing its business plan with the aim of qualifying for U.S. federal income tax benefits
- Winklevoss Capital Management, LLC in providing tax advice with respect to the structure of investments relating to Gemini Trust Company, LLC (a cryptocurrency exchange and custodian)
- Coinbase, Inc. in negotiating a potential acquisition of a privately held operating company
- Notes Editor, N.Y.U. Law Review
University of California, Berkeley
College of William and Mary
B.A. in Philosophy, summa cum laude